Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevster89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Just got the port forwarding situation figured out and am downloading my first torrent using Transmission! :D

A few questions for the many Transmission users on these MacRumors Forums:

1) Does Transmission for OS X allow only 1 file (torrent) download at a time?

2) Does increasing upload bandwith limit allow the client to better reach the download limit (increase the download rate)? I have noticed that when I have my download bandwidth limit set to 500 kb/s and increase the upload limit, the download limit increases sharply towards the 500 limit I previously set.

I could see this being the case as a "reward," if you will, for those that generally share bandwidth for uploading purposes... but am not totally sure. From the patterns I have just noticed it seems as if this may be true. Is it?

Well.. thanks guys!! Happy Holidays :D

vandozza

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2006
Australia
you can download more than 1 torrent at a time.
settings for this are in transmission pref's / transfers / management tab.

and yes, i believe that the bittorrent protocol is designed to reward those who are sharing at greater speeds with faster downloads (although this might not be always implemented? - might depend on the tracker/torrent?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_(protocol)

Users who have low upload ratios may see slower download speeds until they upload more. This prevents (statistical) leeching, since after a while they become unable to download at even a fraction of the theoretical bandwidth of their connection. Some trackers exempt dial-up users from this policy, because their uploading capabilities are limited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.