Transmission Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ElCambo, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ElCambo macrumors regular

Is it possible to select the certain files you want out of a torrent with transmission? Thanks

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    nope, you'll need to enlist the services of the bloated and fugly Azureus for that chore

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

hehe - I feel like this question (or some slight variation of it) gets asked about 4 times a week :D

4. ElCambo thread starter macrumors regular

Its a shame, Transmission would be perfect if it could RSS and pick out files of a torrent.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm not 100% sure about the selective downloading (although the feature is mentioned on the front page), I know BitRocket does have RSS support. You might consider checking it out as an alternative to Azureus.

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Transmission is missing two things:
    - selective file downloading (for those impossible-to-find files that are only available as part of a 1000-files pack)
    - swarm health (ex: what's the % available between all clients, i.e. 234%)

Swarm health would be nice to know if you even have a chance of getting everything or if everyone is stuck at, say, 50%.

7. petersays macrumors member

Truly truly sucky!

I want to download a moviefrom cinematik but the torrent is three discs nd i only want the first. Downloading 14 GB excess movie would screw up my ratio pretty bad. Not to mention i don't have _that_ much space on the HD.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, actually, new version of transmission supports selective downloading. go get it.

or you can always wait for uTorrent for mac.

9. petersays macrumors member

0.96 has that for real? But is it a functional version? 0.95 destroyed 30 GB of torrents for me and was a trainwreck. Do i really dare?

Am on 0.82 now, using leopard.

10. petersays macrumors member

Except corrupting torrents 0.95 had slow D/Ls, didnt connect to as many peers as usual, crashed on quit, the Portmapping didnt work as it should, sometimes the DLs just freezed and dropped to 0.0 . I don't want to go there again, and from reading on the transmission forum it seems like many ppl have problems with 0.96 aswell. :(

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, sorry, I have given up bt on mac for a while, so didn't catch the detail of transmission.

you can always use azerues tho......

12. petersays macrumors member

Ok after diggin deeper i now know that it has been able to select files in Transmission since 0.80.

Just mark the torrent in transmission, and then in the inspector you can select which files to DL.

Niceness!