Transmission rocks!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benlee, Apr 22, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I've been using the new transmission for a week or two now and i just wanted to let everyone know how great it is. If any of you out there use dimeadozen or other torrents check it out....amazing...it also does automatic port opening for those of you that dont want to do it manually.

just thought i'd show some support for this great program.

Happy downloading.

2. mattportner macrumors member

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

it is faster than any other torrent client I tried.

hopefully it will allow you to chose which file to download soon. Azureus is still the one with most functionalities, so still needed if u want to make a torrent or do selective download.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you say automatic port opening, does that mean that Transmission asks for an admin password and changes OS X firewall settings? Does it put them back when it's done?

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

They actually mean Port Mapping via UPnP or NAT-PMP

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Transmission will be awesome once it's unbanned from most private trackers with the release of 0.71. Until then... not so awesome.

7. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

Wouldn't that mean that the trackers are the not-awesome ones? :cool:

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Had some issues respecting tracker rules, before it was worse, just a few niggling things now. Most private trackers are pretty stringent about clients respecting rules, because they're ratio-based (if your ratio's bad, you get banned) so clients that don't follow spec can be considered "cheating."

9. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

cubbie5150

x2.....I must also add that transport encryption would be nice as well. When that is added as a feature, and it appears trackers un-ban Transmission, I will dump Azureus in a heartbeat...

10. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

just for recap, lets list all the legitimate uses for bittorrent.

11. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Distribution of Linux, distribution of large video files for which a provider doesn't want to host on a single server, distribution of large game patches from game publishers like Blizzard...

Then there are ethically gray areas like anime fansub distribution (technically illegal according to the Berne Convention but overlooked by Japanese companies for material not yet licensed for distribution in the States).

Yes, BitTorrent has lots of illegal uses, but then again, so do most other Web technologies.

12. Optimus Rhyme macrumors regular

Why bother? It's great to get illegal stuff if you choose to do that. The legal side is great too, but more people use it for illegal stuff than anything else.