Transmission > Torrents question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abcdefGARY, Jul 24, 2007.

1. abcdefGARY macrumors regular

2. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502

chrisdazzo

1. Transmission's upload and download speeds are exactly what are slowing down your internet. Duh.

2. I don't think things of this topic are allowed here.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

first time downloading a torrent?

downloading torrents slow down your internet..

4. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

Guys, from his words "I never experienced this kind of problem in Windows" I'm assuming he used a torrent client in Windows but it did not slow his connection down as much as it does on his Mac. (Am I correct in assuming this?)

5. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

6. mattw macrumors newbie

No, I don't think there is a lot you can do about this. You could pause downloads when you're using the internet and resume when you're finished.

I think it might have more to do with the upload rather than the download - this seems to slow it the most. Perhaps on your Windows machine the port it uses for uploads was blocked? You could try that (9090 by default I think) but this will substantially cap your download speed as well as you will not be contributing towards the distribution of the files you're downloading.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Also mind your upload speed (which on many dsl lines are much less then the download speed), if your torrent is uploading at your max upload speed then your requests (ie. when your browser is asking for stuff after you've clicked a link) will be severely delayed, and browsing will seem slow.

This is of course on top of the delay you will get if your torrent downloads at or near your max download speed.

8. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Just limit the max upload and download speeds in your torrent client and your web surfing will be fine.

9. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

10. Merlinus macrumors newbie

Always cap your upload limit anywhere from 70-80% of your actual total limit if you're manually limiting them. Otherwise you'll never be able to do anything else on the internet.

Also, Azureus has an auto-speed limiter built in, so if you're doing a lot of things on the net, it'll scale down its caps to accommodate that, whereas Transmission won't.

11. Butters macrumors 6502

All you need to do is limit your upload speed... say your connection is like mine and your max upload is usally about 45 - 50 kbps limit it to 40 or even 35 and it won't effect your surfing speed much if at all

btw there's nothing wrong with this subject unless the OP was to say "Can I have some advice on downloading copyrighted material please?"

12. abcdefGARY thread starter macrumors regular

13. Merlinus macrumors newbie

That's not really such a crazy idea - especially in the long run.