Transmission Trouble!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PowerFullMac, Jul 2, 2008.

1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

...The torrent client that is, I am downloading a torrent and it says it has found 50 seeders but its only downloading from 7 of them... Anyone know how to make it work properly?

Thanks in advance!

2. ihabime macrumors 6502

Wow, this is the 6th or 7th torrent question in the last 2 days.

You won't always connect to all available seeders, sometimes a seeder or a leecher can be unconnectable due to improperly configured firewalls or port forwarding, they might only connect to encrypted clients, they might have banned your client (quite common with transmission as for a long time it reported the wrong statistics to the tracker), or they could have banned your entire address block because of someone on it was a bad leech. Even when everything is going correctly you're not assured to connect to all seeders though.

3. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

OK, well I know I cant always excpect everything to go perfect but 7 out of 50, just thought it was weird.

I am gonna try and find other torrent clients later then.

Thanks for the help!

4. kolax macrumors G3

Few definitions to help you understand:

Leecher - someone who downloads, but doesn't share
    Seeder - someone who downloads and shares.

If there are lots of leechers and few seeders, then you won't get good speeds because people aren't uploading. A seeder might not have all the torrent available to seed, so you'll only be able to get certain bits from certain seeders. The whole concept is quite complex.

Double click on one of your torrents in Transmission to get more info on the peers.

5. ihabime macrumors 6502

I hate to be picky, but leecher isn't necessarily a derogatory term, it applies to anyone who is currently downloading whether they are sharing the parts they have or not.

Someone who downloads but doesn't share is a ******** :)

to the OP, I meant to post this earlier, but RL interrupted.

It may not be your client,
    • chose a port in the high 40-50,000 range, the standard ports can be blocked/limited by ISPs.
    • Make sure that port is open in both your Macs firewall and your routers firewall.
    • set protocol encryption to enabled but not required.

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    Transmission comes with most of that set, you just have to check on the ports.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Slightly better definition from Wikipedia:

"Among users of the BitTorrent file distribution protocol, a leech is a user who disconnects as soon as he/she has a complete copy of a particular file. However, most sites prefer the term leecher for all users who are not seeders (don't have the complete file yet). However, because BitTorrent clients usually begin to upload files almost as soon as they have started to download them, such users are usually not freeloaders. Therefore this kind of leeching is considered to be a legitimate practice. Reaching an upload/download ratio of 1:1 (meaning that the user has uploaded as much as he/she has downloaded) in a BitTorrent client is considered a minimum in the etiquette of that network. A leech becomes a seeder (A provider of the file) when he or she finished downloading and continues to run the client. They will remain a seeder until the file is removed or destroyed."

7. ihabime macrumors 6502

Well everyone knows you can't trust wikipedia, it's just a bunch of wacky people who have nothing better to do than post on the internet :D

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Unlike anything we ever use, no we have lives! :rolleyes:

9. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Also I should have said that a few days ago I downloaded another torrent in about 10 minutes that was about the same size as this one so I dont think there is much wrong with my settings.

Oh well, its going at about 30kb/s now, I'll just put up with it.