Transmission Update Problem With Transfers!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oli2140, Dec 25, 2008.

1. oli2140 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I recently updated to the latest transmission while downloading a number of torrent files. Now, after updating these torrents are not downloading and I cannot complete my downloads. Is there anything I can do to resume them again without having to download the whole thing again?

Thanks and merry christmas

Oli

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Does the port number listed in your preferences correspond to the one you forwarded in your router? Who knows, it may have changed.

3. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried checking port forwarding as soon as I ran into the problem and I think it is all fine. When opening transmission the app can locate peers just does not download from any of them.

I know from windows days that utorrent updates stated to update after transfers had been completed and obviously the same problem is present on transmission. I would download the torrents again if they were not so large and I was not 98% through!

4. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Try deleting the torrent from transmission's download queue. Then drag the .torrent file for the download back into transmission. Transmission will scan the directory it downloads into and show that it has already downloaded some of the content for the torrent. It will then resume the download from where it left off.

Hopefully you can still find the .torrent file for your dl.

6. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried this but to no avail, I will try downloading the existing torrent again in another location to see how that works

Uh oh, just checked the port forwarding settings and have seen my port is closed...
    [​IMG]

However on the router page I have forwarded this with the following settings

[​IMG]

A bit suspicious??

Update: After testing with a large number of different torrents, on all BUT ONE Transmission states "Downloading from 0 of x peers" where x is always above 0 and mostly over 5 or 10. On one torrent it states "Downloading from 1 of 20 peers"

In settings there is no maximum number of peers to connect to.

7. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

If you have your router port forwarded you should unselect "Automatically map port." Automatically mapping the port while also port forwarding the port can create issues.

I would suggest that you remove the port forwarding and see if automatically mapping the port works. When you automatically map the port you do not need to forward the port; instead the app sends a signal to your router telling the router that the app needs that port open. If your router supports NAT-PMP or UPnP the router will open that port while the app is open.

Automatically mapping the port is more secure as the port is only open when the app is open. I find that support for this feature is not great depending on the router you have. You may have to forward the port manually as the mapping may not work. If you have a Mac and an Airport Extreme it works flawlessly.

8. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your perseverance but unticking 'Automatically Map Port' still shows that the Port is closed, similarly, forwarding no ports on the router and allowing transmission to take care of it still wields no results.

What's so frustrating is that it was working fine before I updated and rolling back to the previous version doesn't do anything!!

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Try completely deleting Transmission, including the "home/library/application support/transmission" folder and "home/library/preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist" file.

Then reinstall transmission. You will have to reconfigure all of your preferences but if you are having problems this may be your only solution. I would also change the port and port forward the new port just to eliminate any possible sources of your issue.

Also, when you port forward a port, it works much better when you make seperate port forwardings for tcp and udp.

10. oli2140 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have download speed!

I used AppZapper to get rid of anything Transmissiony and download the old version 1.4 from Transmission's site, I then put all of my torrents back into Transmission and although they seem to have copied the incomplete files from the Downloads folder to the Desktop (hopefully the whole file will be on the desktop when the app thinks it has downloaded 100%)

However, although my speeds are much better (100kb instead of 0kb) Transmission still states my Ports are closed.

After using canyouseeme.org it also stated it could not see my port as being open. I will have to seriously check everything in my router and perhaps reset it.

Thanks for bearing with me, hope you had a great christmas and an even better new year!