Transmission VS Utorrent for Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacMan988, Sep 23, 2012.

1. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

Which one would be better ? Does Transmission makes the computer slow (resources usage wise) ?

2. ThisIsRuss macrumors newbie

ThisIsRuss

I use transmission and also used Utorrent on 10.8 but I do prefer Transmission and it seems to run smooth on basic 13" MBA

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

4. BeginnerXP macrumors newbie

I liked uTorrent on Windows, but when I moved to OSX, I find that uTorrent Mac version is lagging far behind its Windows counterpart.

I used Transmission at first, as it's much more polished than uTorrent Mac, but I noticed my network slowed down when Transmission is downloading torrents, I tried many things but it didn't fix the problem so I switched to uTorrent for now.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'll assume you tried limiting the throughput using Transmissions settings? I limit mine from 8AM to 8PM, but let it go full speed overnight....never had an issue.

6. BeginnerXP macrumors newbie

The torrent didn't use half of my bandwidth when it happened, it's like sometimes while torrent is downloading at 20-30KB/s (from 1MB/s my maximum bandwidth), pages loading in Safari became unresponsive, if I stopped transmission download, it came back to normal.

When I switched to uTorrent for Mac, I didn't experience this anymore, so for now I'm staying with uTorrent, I kept trying Transmission nightly builds too, but so far, still the same issue.

7. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

I like Transmission but now that I want to use a proxy I see its limitations.

I could use a system proxy but I heard that is not the same as using a dedicated proxy from your bT client.

Vuze is good but bloated and I'm not sure about uTorrent's newer offerings.

What do you suggest?

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I recently started using BTGuard and had to abandon Transmission....and from their forums it sounds like they'll never support a proxy.

Over last weekend, I tried Vuze, uTorrent, and Deluge. I ended up sticking with Vuze - main reason being that I use Piratebay a lot and uTorrent has issues with magnet links from there - otherwise I would have prefered uTorrent. I just didn't care for Deluge's look and feel.

9. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Hmm maybe I'll give uTorrent a shot since Vuze eats up so much memory.

Thanks

10. DoctorCrap macrumors regular

DoctorCrap

Transmission

Reasons:
    • Much more User-Friendly
    • Optimized for Mac
    • Apparently faster and more effiecient than many torrent clients I tried

11. leopinzon macrumors newbie

+1 For Transmission

Case in point: trying to download with uTorrent something pretty shared like Matrix. One week with uTorrent and it never started. Tried with Transmission and it started just immediately. I've had the same behaviour with other files.

12. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

+1 for Transmission because it's Open Source and user friendly

13. kolax macrumors G3

Transmission.

I remotely add torrents to it while at work, so they are finished when I get home. I find it reliable, never crashes, and I get maximum speeds.