Transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iMacBook, Aug 2, 2007.

1. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Why is that when I am downloading something on Transmission/Azureus, my other computer (wired that is) is SOO slow (when on the internet)?

I over 6Mbps download and over 1mbps upload. What gives?

2. chriswheat macrumors regular

Probably because you're using all of your bandwidth. Just a guess.

3. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

You're using up your bandwidth, obviously. I don't download torrents while my brother is playing games online because it kills his performance, same when my parents are on their computer. Some ISPs throttle back bandwidth when they detect P2P and torrent programs, too.

4. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I've never had that problem when I had just that computer.

I'd download like crazy and there was no slowing down.

5. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Your computer's creating a bunch of connections for each torrent - every person you connect to, to download creates a connection. When it's just your computer, it's just fine - no one else needs connections, so the router gives them all to you.

Then you connect the other computer to the network. And someone else needs the bandwidth/connections. So the router splits it up - instead of you getting it all, they get some of it. But not enough because you still try and use the same amount as before.

Lesson? Limit the # of connections and your upload/download speed. It's not the program's fault. You just didnt set it up properly - a common mistake :p

6. thegrifman macrumors regular

My roommate and I used to have this problem with Azureus and so we set our maximum connections to 30 and that solved it without a noticeable hit to our download speeds. I use Transmission all the time as well and surf just fine without tweaking anything so I don't know why that would be causing a problem for you.

7. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Different internet connections require different settings :)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Well, in Transmission, I limited the upload/download speeds during the day.

In Azureus, I also did the same.

I just need to find what you said. Thanks.

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Some home grade consumer routers also have a problem with the large number of frequently changing connections that get created / torn down when using Torrent programs. This could also be the cause of the problem.

11. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

No matter what the client, it'll still make Connections and Upload/Download :rolleyes:

And to limit connections in Azureus, Preferences > Transfer, not sure where it is in Transmission as I dont have it installed.

12. rubbersoul macrumors newbie

rubbersoul

13. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Since the topic is 'Transmission':

Why does Transmission seem to incrementally increase file size? Say you have a big file downloading, but instead of it automatically allocating the full size of the file onto the hdd, Transmission will only use up the space as needed (as it is being downloaded). ie: a 4 gig file @ 40% will only use up 1.6 gigs of space, but on Azureus, it'll make the file size the full 4 gigs.

The problem here is that I've been swapping between xTorrent and Transmission, and I managed to botch up a 9 gig download by going from the 'incremental' Transmission to the 'full allocating' xTorrent.

Is there anyway to FORCE transmission into 'fully allocating'?

14. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I don't think so. There's nothing obvious in version 0.72. Maybe the nightly versions linked above have some sort of setting?

15. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I might try and see if I can gouge any answers from the mostly uninhabited Transmission forums.

The only problem here is that if I switch to the nightly builds (I downloaded it just a minute ago), what if it borks my download, and it's not exactly flying along.

Well, I'll give it a go anyway.

EDIT: okay, tried the nightly build, it checked the file, then it stopped checking halfway, THANK GOODNESS that it didn't touch the original file, so i can don't lose anything.

16. JangoFett124 macrumors regular

I assume you're using Transmission 0.72. When 0.8 comes out you shouldn't have a problem because Xtorrent is simply using Transmission's core, but happens to currently be built against the more-advanced nightly developmental builds of Transmission.

When the new version of Transmission comes out (soon) you will see the same exact allocation behavior that you're seeing in Xtorrent.