Transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kolax, Jan 20, 2008.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Everyone says Transmission isn't good for download speeds, and from the performance I achieve I think they are right. But, for the benefit of everyone else, I'd like people who get high speeds on Transmission to post tips on how to configure it right.

I am on a 4MB connection, so my maximum download speed is in the 400kb/s mark. On average, I am downloading at 15kb/s, with occasional jump in speed to 100kb/s, then falling again.

With Azureus, my download speeds are so much higher and consistent. But, I get kernel panics after long use, never quits and a range of other problems. Where as Transmission is pretty much bug free if it wasn't for such bad speeds.

I am using Transmission Nightlies, and below are screenshots of my configurations.

[​IMG]

What is the secret behind getting high speeds?!

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

The only difference I have on that page of my Transmission is the port i'm using is 6881.

My speeds seem fine, although that's only recently after I got a new router. Before that, I'd never seen a download faster than 20kbps. Now I'm getting from nothing to 300kbps approximately, depending on the torrent.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

idk, I always find transmission faster for me.

4. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I had problems only with 0.9x, that build was really bad. But with 0.8x and 1.X I cant complain. Even with the port close I can get over 200KB/swhich is not all that bad and with open Im reaching above 500KB/s Of course it depends from the tracker and so on, but This is really good small application.

5. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

What else can I do to the router (it is an Airport Extreme) apart from opening the port? I'm still getting poor speeds with ports open etc.

It is annoying, since I am connected to 7 out of 78 seeders, yet I am only getting 12kb/s right now.

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Not a clue I'm afraid, I never worked out why the old router was causing such a problem. The new one (Orange Livebox, not sure what the brand is) seems to be much nicer with torrenting.

7. richoellis macrumors newbie

richoellis

faster speeds

Whilst you posted this a long time ago, I was searching for a solution and your post came up. I too was receiving 20-50kbs speeds but to speed it up all I did and I know it sounds too good to be true, it was plug it direct into my airport and I know get speeds of 150-350kbs. Hope this helps :)

8. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

Make sure you've set your Mac to have a static IP address and set up port forwarding on your router.

9. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

it depends on the torrent mostly, not the client.

i have never used anything but transmission.

lots of seeds = high speeds
    not many seeds = lower speeds

it has nothing to do with the client, its all in ur head