transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Kaldama, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Kaldama macrumors member

guys,
    i installed transmission but the torrents never start downloading ?!?! they just stay there on 0%!? any ideas what might be the problem

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Are you making sure there are seeders on the torrents you download?

3. Kaldama thread starter macrumors member

yeah, sure. this is the first thing i check. have anybody else experienced this problem >?

4. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

blocked ports.

Check your ports are not blocked.

5. megatronbomb macrumors regular

megatronbomb

Out of curiosity, how long are you waiting after you open Transmission and start a torrent before giving up or closing out, etc?

For whatever reason, when I open Transmission and start downloading, it'll sit there for about 5 minutes or so acting as if it can't connect to any seeders before it finally "kicks in" and starts downloading.

I think it has to do with my school's network. Once it starts, the speed is really good, but it takes a while for it to get going. Maybe this is your issue?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Try forcing encryption, or trying a nightly build of Transmission.

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

There's a delay for me too. Not 5 mins like you, but it does take a bit to kick in.

8. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Saw this thread and forgot I had a few torrents that I quit last night. Opened it up and the started within 10 seconds.

9. JCastro macrumors 6502a

It works wonderfully for me. I have the latest Heroes screaming down. I have noticed it takes a little bit to start some times. Usually my connection is horrible at that time though. You could try deleting it and downloading it again.

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Question

high guys, I have been using transmission for a while now, and it's light and simple, no argument, however when i use utorrent in my old PC i get much faster download!

I live in the UK and i am with orange broadband (up to 8 MB speed) however as every know in reality it is not that high. The highest download speed i had was a surge of 400-500 KB/s however i can maintain depending on the torrent about 200 if i am downloading TV series (scrubs etc). For movies average 60!

So my question: how to optimism the setting for transmission, to get the highest speed?

11. giffut macrumors 6502

Orange ...

... very likely is either throttling or traffic shaping your P2P connections, so your download speeds may be severly limited. You could try to connect a very lively torrent - like a linux distribution, let´s say Ubuntu - and check there: If the maximum download speed you achieve is still within the range of the recently experienced 60kByte/sec, they do shape your IP traffic.

As in general: It can take a while for a torrent to be "connected" enough so downloading kicks in. But it is also depending on your settings. In Transmission, under "Preferences" and then "Peers" do specify your numbers: I have "Global Maximum" set to 400 and "New Transfer Maximum" to 80. I get best speeds of my connection (DSL 16000), when the torrent can deliver. Do also limit your upload speed to, let´s say, a quarter or half of your maximum possible with your provider. When you set unlimited upload speed, your connection can get stuck (think of too many people trying to get out through one little door all at the same time). This also will slow down response times for surfing the net.

Beware, though: This is highly dependant on your router - some won´t be able to do it, some even allow more before they become unstable (mostly reconnecting due to crashing of too many simultaneous connections).

12. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Thanks...I was thinking about the maximum connection thing. Mine is set into 200 and 60, so i will try that, and if it crashes then i will go back to default. Thanks again ;)