Transmission's Got a Bad Memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobbieL, Dec 11, 2007.

1. RobbieL macrumors member

I've been using Transmission for my torrenting needs since I switched to Mac a few months back. It works almost perfectly, except for when it's running a check on an uncompleted download. Everytime it runs a check, it will only find half (sometimes less) of the downloaded data, resulting in me loosing gigabytes of data. There has been a bunch of new releases since I started using it, and none seemed to have fixed the issue.

I've also noticed when downloading using Transmission will download at a steady, slow speed, but on my Windows box (using uTorrent) the same torrent will be going at double/triple the speed.

Anyone else experience these issues? Especially the checking data one. As much as I like Transmission, its really starting to become a nuisance.

2. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Ive experienced both. Even on Tiger, it would look for partial downloads and sometimes either completely start over or download the rest SEPARATELY therefore rendering the files useless. Since switching to Leopard, my downloads have been painfully slow even with a number of seeds if starting at all. Whats the deal?

3. RobbieL thread starter macrumors member

No idea what's causing it. Think I've had enough of Transmission, to be honest. Any recommendations on another torrent client? Was looking at xtorrent, but I hear that actually uses an old Transmission build as it's core ...

4. RobbieL thread starter macrumors member

Just incase it's of any interest to you, OrangeCuse44, I've ditched Transmission and moved over to BitRocket.

Its got a really nice UI, speeds seem great, and best of all it actually finds all the downloaded data when doing a check. :)

5. OrangeCuse44 macrumors 65816

OrangeCuse44

Thanks man, ill take a look at it. Appreciate the tip.

6. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

I regret saying this, but I had to ditch Transmission and went back to Azureus.

I like Transmission's simplicity, but versions 0.95 and 0.96 has been rather buggy. The last straw is this problem on this thread.

Azureus' UI is kinda "bleh...", and really too many options, but at least it works.

7. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

Indeed. Transmission is small, quick and easy to use but if it falls down, or is unreliable at it's main purpose, it's no use.

A pretty, simple yet critically flawed torrent client vs a "meh", bloated yet good at it's intention client?

I just hide Azureus but enjoy the reliable, quick downloads.

8. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

From what I have been reading on the transmission forums it seems that each release has gotten a little worse. But, most of this started when encryption had to be "spliced" into the existing code. They are working on it and they know that there are stability issues right now.