Transmit 4: Syncing/Dates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JoelMarcey, Aug 2, 2010.

1. JoelMarcey macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

I am testing out Transmit, especially the sync feature. Let me give you a quick scenario. I have Wordpress installed on my remote server. I sync the current install to my local machine. I upgrade Wordpress on my local machine and then sync those files back to the remote server.

One thing I noticed is that the dates associated with the files that are being sync'd reflect the current date, not the date the actual file was actually modified. So for example, let's say a new Wordpress file has a date of June 2, 2010. When I sync that file back to my remote machine, it lists the current date (in this case August 2, 2010).

I can see this as being an issue when doing the next upgrade because what if the next upgrade has that same file with a modified date of July 6, 2010. It is definitely newer than the one on June 2, 2010. But since my remote server shows a date of August 2, 2010 for that file, it won't update that file because it thinks the remote server file is newer. But in reality it is not.

Am I making sense? Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
    Joel Marcey

2. JoelMarcey thread starter macrumors 6502

JoelMarcey

Figured it out....

Thanks to some help from the Transmit support folks, it looks like the resolution is surprisingly easy. I feel a bit ashamed actually. :eek:

In Transmit Preferences, click on the Advanced Server Settings button.

Then make sure Preserve modification date is checked.

I can't believe I missed that.

3. yoose macrumors newbie

thanks for posting the solution. its a useful thing to know.