Transmit ftp Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mwq, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mwq macrumors newbie

All,

Transmit worked superbly first time round uploading to ftp.mydomain.com. But testing second website wouldn't accept full server address especially backslashes e.g:

ftp.university.edu/jmb/

Any ideas? I don't know what is meant by initial path field nor whether I should use ftp or sftp.

My old ftp program required full domain details: http://www.university.edu/jmb

Help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

MWQ.

2. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

You have to use
    ftp.university.edu as your FTP server

then in the initial path field you'll have to type the way to the folder, which might be hard to find.

It could be something like this (mine is):

/var/www/html/

contact your uni to find out what it is.

3. mwq thread starter macrumors newbie

Transmit ftp

Thanks PJ - though I have the correct path, username and passwords, I still get "Login incorrect" message. Very odd since these are the details I've always used before my recent conversion to mac. I've tried some different permutations but to no avail.

mwq.

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Try putting:

ftp.university.edu in the server field

and

/jmb in the Remote Path field (under more options)

5. mwq thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Southernboy,

Thanks for the response. Problem is I don't see where the "more options" tab is - all is see are the following fields on he connect tab:

Server
    username
    Password
    initial path
    port
    protocol

Am I dumb and blind :)

Cheers,

MWQ.

6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hi MWQ.

When you create a new Favorite, there'll be a blue downward pointing arrow (see attached).

Good luck ;)

Attached Files:

7. mwq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Southernboy,

I am making progress thanks to your superbly illustrated instructions.
    Of the five websites I'm webmaster for I can now access two from my Mac. Progress!!

For the others I get "server not found" - which is odd since I can access them through my PC ftp program. I've checked all the access details again; I have purchased the full version of Transmit ...can't think where I'm failing.

Any further ideas you might have would be much appreciated. I hate to be such a nuisance.

Best,

MWQ.

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Make sure you've got 'Use Passive Mode' checked. Failing that PM the login details to me and I'll have a go. You can change the passwords once we've sorted it.

You're not a nuisance btw ;)

9. mwq thread starter macrumors newbie

Your patience is appreciated. I'd like to think that once I have this nailed, I can assist others.

1. passive mode checked on all
    2. how do I get login details to you without others viewing? I wouldn't know how to change p/w.
    3. Odd thing. Uploaded page from Mac (Transmit) with Flash - no Flash in uploaded page. Uploaded same page from PC using some ftp freeware - viola! - flash embeded as shoud be. :confused:

MWQ.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

No one else can see a Private message (that's why it's called private ;)) but you can email the details to:

apf1 at mac.com

Just send one for the time being.

When you bought the hosting the provider should have given you access to a control panel from where you can change the password. I use Transmit to manage over 40 sites with no problems, so there must be a problem somewhere.