Transmit (FTP) Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac In School, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Okay, let's say you have a local folder named folderA and a remote folder named folderA...

Local folderA contains 3 sub-folders:

folder1
    folder2
    folder3

Remote folderA contains 5 sub-folders:

folder1
    folder2
    folder3
    folder4
    folder5

When I upload local folderA to the server, and select "replace" (with "apply to all") checked, will it delete folder4 and folder5 on the server because they aren't on the local machine?

I recently upgraded a (simple machines) forum, and a lot of deep sub-folders and files came up missing. Things like uploaded user Avatars, and a custom theme I had created. The files were on the server right before the upgrade, and missing after it.

I'm trying to decide if I should blame Transmit or the forum upgrade package.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depends on how it was done.

if you moved folder A over to replace the current folder A then yes. you'd lose the other two folders nested.

if you opened folder A, and dropped folders 1 through 3 into the other folder A, it'd just replace those folders.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Yep... you've told it to replace the existing folder with the newer one, so it's done exactly that – replaced it. It won't go retaining files in that folder just because they aren't in the newer one.

4. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

I definitely did it this way:

:(

I figured that was probably it. Thanks.

I was just about to complain about how ridiculous this was, but then I did an experiment with some local files, and see that OS X does the same thing when moving folders around. As a relatively new Mac user, this is something I wasn't expecting. Windows keeps the target files that don't appear in source when replacing. Since OS X does it this way, it only makes sense for Transmit to do the same thing, I reckon.

Does anyone else here work with forums? How do you deal with this when upgrading? I need to upgrade a vBulliten forum today too, and don't want the same thing to happen.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Transmit does handle it this way because thats the way OS X handles all folders, yes. it does take a bit getting used to, but the spring open folders makes its all much easier to deal with once you get the hang of it.

hope your next upgrade goes better. i've not had the pleasure of doing huge upgrades myself, but i'm sure others have.

6. Mr.nix macrumors member

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I switched. For transmit you have to select merge if I remember right. But I've moved on to yummy FTP. When you select replace in yummy it works like you expect. It's also faster for me.

7. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

Yummy works... Well... Yummily!

I just purchased it. Thanks!