Transmit: How on Earth Do You Stop It Removing Whole Folders?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gareth-HFX, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Gareth-HFX macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Basically, when upgrading software I found that if you upload a folder in Transmit then not only will existing files be overwrited (good), but additional files that you've uploaded seperately within the folder will be removed! This is a terrible feature for me...

Example;

- On my server I have the /forums/ folder.
    - Within that /forums/ directory I have uploaded a few pictures of myself.
    - I upload a local /forums/ folder on top of the /forums/ directory on my server - only expecting the forum software files to be overwritten with the new version that I'm uploading.
    - Transmit actually removes every file in the /forums/ folder - even if you're not overwriting it.
    - So the pictures of me are gone :(

I've already lost a custom skin and had to spend a few days remaking it, I've lost a custom logo as well.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
    Gareth

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Try this and see if it doesn't work for you-- I use this as kind of a workaround for that type of issue since when you drag an entire folder, an entire folder is what it will replace! :(

For example, let's say the folder on your computer is Folder A. You want to transfer all the files in it to Folder B on the remote site. You want to ADD the items in Folder A to Folder B- replacing any duplicates but leaving files that are already in Folder B (but are not in your new transfer) alone.

As you have found just replacing Folder B by dragging across Folder A will not work--- BUT if you open Folder A on the left side of Transmit, then open folder B on the right side you can then drag just the contents of Folder A into Folder B and all will be well. If any items you are dragging conflict with what is already in Folder B it will ask you if you want to replace the items, but it will not remove or modify existing items that are not in the files you drag.

Sorry for the convoluted explanation, but this does work. Put more simply rather than copying full folders, just copy the contents of those folders in other words!

Hope that helps out!

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Transmit -> Preferences -> Transfers -> "When at item already exists:" -> Uploading folders -> "Merge the existing folder."

Ta-Da!

jW

4. Gareth-HFX thread starter macrumors newbie

Legend <3