transmit video wirelessly

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bitbonk, Jan 9, 2012.

1. bitbonk macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What would be a good option if I were to transmit any video (DVD, AVI, MOV, just anything) from my iMac to a TV or beamer over the air? 1080p would be nice. But is not a requirement. Setup should be simple and the required hardware should be small and have decent design that can be used in a living room.

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Wireless video at this stage of development is wonky at best. Range is relatively short, devices are fairly expensive, add lots of unneccessary complications, and there's risk of interference in the transmitted audio and imagery.

A simple cable is like, 1000% more preferable from pretty much every point of view. Since pretty much no TVs have ultra-wideband receivers built into them yet you'll still need a HDMI cable running to the receiver box, which will have to sit relatively near the transmission box (as in, a few meters, in line of sight). And you'll need power cables with wall warts for the wireless boxes, increasing cable clutter by 300% versus just one straight video cable running to your TV.

Bad idea overall, I'd say. But if you insist there are some solutions out there. Just google for them. :p