Transmit vs CyberDuck

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OfficiallyPB, Aug 29, 2013.

1. OfficiallyPB macrumors newbie

Guys. I have £29 to spend in the app store from a £70 voucher. I am thinking FTP may come in handy, as i work on email marketing and dabble in a little bit of web design.

I am a user of Coda2 & Sublime, Coda2 has its own built in FTP but meh, it works but its not great. Transmit seems to be the best as per lifehacker but cyberduck a close second.

What do you guys use?

Do you have any other suggestions on what to spent my £29 on? lol

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Transmit offers a trial, and cyberduck is free donationware isn't it?

I'd try both and make decision on which one you like.

I personally like transmit but its your money and your decision

3. OfficiallyPB thread starter macrumors newbie

cyber duck is £16.99 in the app store trasmit is £23.99

hmm may try the trails, at least cyberduck has a cool dock icon hahaha

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you go to the cyberduck website it appears to be donationware
    [​IMG]

5. OfficiallyPB thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...but i think i have already made my mind up, Cyberduck doesnt allow a split screen view like transmit or coda2. So i think ill go with Transmit

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Also look at Forklift. Two windows and it's 2/3 the price of Transmit. (I used to use Cyberduck but switched to Forklift.)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of Transmit. I use that for years and its a great app :D

8. tootall macrumors regular

sorry to hijack the thread but I also tried switching from Cyberduck to Forklift 2. Forklift has a wonderful interface and mounting the disks is cool. However I always get a not enough disk space error, is it because it is limited during the trial period??

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Seems strange to me! I actually got Forklift as part of a package, so never ran the trial version.

10. chikhao macrumors newbie

I found that on the macbook pro retina with mavericks, both transmit and forklift messed with the screen saver and hibernation, so that my computer does not sleep any more, screen saver also stopped working. I know that they want to stay connected but this is a terrible idea for the screen.

Cyberduck does not have this issue. Guess I am only one that switch camp backward.

11. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

You don't want the computer to sleep while transferring files. I'd call that a strike against Cyberduck.

12. chikhao macrumors newbie

No, I am not transferring anything at that moment, just left transmit there. but it still kept my screen lighted.

I don't know if cyberduck allows hibernation while transferring files though, never got a chance to try it out.

13. andrea81 macrumors member

Check out ExpanDrive. It is really cool, as it mounts (S)FTP, FTP, and some cloud services as disks inside Finder. You can do everything you would to on your remote files as you would do if they were on a physical disk connected to your computer, transparently I used to prefer Forklift, since it sort-of-did it but now that Finder got native tabs, I am still back to it. As a plus: each license should alsowork on the Windows version of the product, so if you ever need it, it's there.
    However, Forklift is indeed a solid alternative. Yummy FTP as well if you prefer traditional, dual-panel-windows-style FTP apps.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've had no such issue with Transmit, when its not upload/downloading, it's gone to sleep while I had the app active.

15. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I just started the trial and WOW! But having already paid for Forklift I'm not sure if it's worth $40 for the occasional extra convenience.

16. matt94gt macrumors member

I use transmit EVERY day and absolutely love it.

17. andrea81 macrumors member

I hear you. I bought it thanks to a MacUpdate promo. 50% off I believe. I also paid A SINGLE DOLLAR for each of Forklift and Yummy FTP thanks to sales on the Mac App Store.

18. chikhao macrumors newbie

Are you using mavericks? I had no issue on mountain lion or earlier os, only mavericks.

19. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If I was going to buy something I'd get Transmit.

20. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I can't tell you what to spend your money on but have you checked out filezilla for FTP? Last I checked, it was free.

If you use the iphone earbuds or pods, you might want to check out Dirac which is a small program that brings out a much fuller sound from these Apple ear devices. I read about them by chance in an AV forum review and got the app for fun and was surprised how well it works for about 90 percent of my music.

21. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

another vote for Filezilla...I use it to upload my website to the server.

22. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've been using CyberDuck for a long time and since I've been following this thread, I decided to try Transmit. I must say that only after a couple of days, I already like Transmit better than CyberDuck.

I don't know why, but CyberDuck always took a long time to connect and disconnect to my server and it annoyed me greatly. Transmit so far connects/disconnects instantly using the same settings.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, i'm on mavericks :)