iPhone Transparency effects kill performances

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ZeeDD, Jul 13, 2013.

1. ZeeDD macrumors member

Hi all,

Just did some tests with iOS 7b3 on my iPhone 4S 16go, and I conclude that transparency effect is killing performances. It slows the keyboard display, etc...

Just try to set the "increase contrast" parameter to ON in settings/accessibility and you will easily see the difference in terms of performances.

I just hope Apple engineers will find a way to optimize the code... And yes, I know it's beta... :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have the beta, but when I saw you post that performance on your 4s is inferior with the transparency, I figured its due to the slower processor/gpu in your phone.

I wonder if others running the beta on an iPhone5 are incurring the same issue

3. ZeeDD thread starter macrumors member

You're probably right. But I presume that code optimization is also a parameter for Apple engineers to try to correct the problem...

And yes, I'm curious about Iphone 5 users opinion

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're correct, betas are less about performance and more about debugging, so the code has not been optimized yet.

5. msahadi macrumors member

Just tried it on my i5. Don't really see any performance difference. Of course ios 7 is a little bit slower then ios 6. I'm sure by the time the GM comes out it will be fast on both the 4s and 5.

6. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

The code may not be fully optimized for hardware rendering so in some cases it falls back to software processing and hence the lacks of fps

7. chekz0414 macrumors 6502a

chekz0414

I doubt it is due to your processor, I am running it on an iPod touch with no performance issues

8. pk7 macrumors 6502

It just needs to be optimized, as others have said. I'm sure the dual-core GPU in the A5 in the 4S can handle it with ease.

9. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I didn't like the way iOS 7 worked on my iPad mini so I went back to iOS 6. I will save judgement for when its out of beta though.

10. gomoq13 macrumors 6502

gomoq13

I tried this on an iPhone 4. No difference, it seems. Maybe it's also due to some of your settings?

11. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Apple will optimize it for both the 4s and the 5
    This is because their current flagship models (ipad mini and iPod touch) both use the a5

12. ZeeDD thread starter macrumors member

13. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

If you want to further increase performance on your 4S, turn on "Reduce Motion" which will disable the parallax effect.