Transparency on iOS 8 kills iPad air performance

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Afluffykitten, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Afluffykitten macrumors member

So, transparency kills the performance on the iPad air. Bringing down spotlight or using any heavy transparency effects with the keyboard chop the frame rates right down. What fixes this and dramatically increases the fluidity is turning transparency off. Couldn't Apple have just kept the same transparency effects as present on iOS 7? It ran so smoothly. It almost seems as if they've purposely gimped the software.

2. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

It's their way of saying: time to get iPad Air 2!!

3. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yep, really disappointing. There's no way this thing should be lagging, especially considering it's been out for only a year and certainly has a powerful enough processor to handle the effects. I don't understand why these effects are so demanding.

4. Afluffykitten thread starter macrumors member

This sucks, I hate the air 2's form factor, the speaker vibrations alone are a deal breaker for me. I would love an air with an a8x and 2 gigs without all the bs that comes with an overly slende body. It's like theyre forcing me not to upgrade.

5. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

The framerate is really bad. I've started switching more and more to my iphone 6 since the ipad air experience is really poor right now. Reduce transparency causes a bug where you can't see your keystrokes though.

6. rhino89 macrumors regular

Transparency

I, too, made the mistake of updating to iOS 8.1 even though I knew that the lag was an issue. I guess I thought I could figure out what settings would make it be smooth again.

I turned off transparency, and got used to the keyboard not showing me the depression of my keys. Sure it's not the solution we all hoped for, and I'm still disappointed by the crappy performance that ios 8.1 brought to the original air, but I figured I'd rather have a perfectly smooth ipad than a laggy one with transparency effects, a keyboard that shows my strokes, and a transparent dock. You get used to it, even though it's not right. Disappointing, but at the end of the day, it's not worth the net cost of about $150-200 of selling your iPad and buying an air 2.

Maybe some jailbreak tweaks will fix this?

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

General movement through the UI is fine but things with transparency are slow, i.e. Spotlight, rotating when the keyboard is up, etc.

8. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

The transparency is exactly the same, iOS 8 is just harder on devices because of all of the changes Apple made, it needs to be optimized, maybe it will be fixed in 8.2.

9. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, performance isn't perfect even on iPad Air 2 which is disappointing :eek:

10. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I'm getting dropped frames during scrolling, which is incredibly irritating as that's one of my number one gripes with Android. I'm definitely not happy with 8.1 on the Air 1.

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I think it's just **** ios 8. Pulling down for quick reply on my iPhone 6 is like pulling down Notification Center on my iPhone 4. It drops frames horribly. It's really quite sad

12. Mechayoshi macrumors regular

Mechayoshi

My iPod touch is a nightmare but the iPad works like a charm. There's glitches but performance wise none of these things happen.

13. RebornProphet Suspended

It has to be poor coding because iOS 7.1.2 has plenty of UI transparencies and it ran far smoother than this on iPad Air.

Ive disabled transparencies on my Air for now.

----------

With transparency disabled the keyboard shows that I'm pressing the keys on Spotlight but not in Safari. Weird eh? Another design inconsistency.

14. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Really you're still getting dropped frames in Android? I haven't seen any at all in 4.4 even on an old underpowered OG Nexus 7. What version/device are you using?

15. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I'm using a 2013 N7 on 4.4.4, it's not anywhere near as bad as the first N7 I owned (the 2012 version), but I still get dropped frames in the Play Store and occasionally in Chrome.

16. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Huh. Well here I am messing with mine and I can't get it to drop frames. Maybe you have something going on the the background? Maybe try killing off a bunch of your background processes and see if you can find the culprit(s).

17. MaciMac100 macrumors 6502

They just don't care about iPad Air 1 users anymore. They got our money already.

18. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I've got very little running on mine and it does the same upon restart, it has also performed like that the whole time I've owned it.

19. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

The frame rate is damn near flawless on iPad air 2. But I agree they need to just optimize better. iPad air was fine last year with iOS 7. Hopefully a software update comes soon that actually fixes issues instead of just adding all the promises that were supposed to ship with 8.0.

I remember when 7.1 came out and it made the original air really nice.

20. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Sounds like you got a bad phone then. My 6 Plus is perfect.