Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
I'm having trouble printing transparencies created in an exported pdf from indesign. They print fine direct from indesign, and look fine in the on screen view of the pdf. But when I print the pdf. They show up as a block of colour.

I've tried exporting as eps files to see if they flatten ok and whether there is a problem in the way I've set up my document in indesign but the eps files are fine.

Is there something I need to do in the pdf as opposed to indesign?

digitaldean

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2006
transparency

Ahh, transparency. Wonderful design feature, but a pain in the "a**" when it comes to output.

I would flatten the transparency using the "Spread Flattener" function from the pages menu. That helps flatten the transparency out when you export out of ID.

You will first have to make sure you have the ppi settings set at a high enough resolution otherwise your PDF output will be garbage.

If your transparency is over a spot color, you're pooched. You will have to composite it in Photoshop to get it to work properly.

Transparency is very flaky when it comes to output (PDF or final output) because it can affect areas of a file that aren't even touching the item w/transparency. Thank Adobe for that one...they don't even have PostScript language upgraded yet. (they acknowledge the problem, but are very slow in moving to a solution)

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.