Transparent Dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AliensExist4, Mar 18, 2008.

1. AliensExist4 macrumors member

For some reason I'm having a problem getting m Leopard dock to be Transparent. I Backed everything up, and I went into System>Library>CoreServices>Resources>and I deleted all the scurve files as well as the frontline.png file and it made my dock fully Transparent which I wanted but on the edges of the dock it leaves trace marks. Heres a pick of what I'm talking about. Sort of hard to see, but it's where the dock sides are on the bottom. Can anyone help? Thanks

-Patrick

[​IMG]

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

3. AliensExist4 thread starter macrumors member

Its at the bottom of the pic. on both sides near the dege of the pic. There are some orange lines. This was from the transparent dock I have now. It leaves these marks after the dock goes hiding.

4. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I can just about see it. Because you've uploaded with imageshack we can't see the full size version.

I'm not entirely sure, but perhaps those bits that are left are named something slightly different?

Also if they're orange, you tried editing the dock before? Try removing the customization if you used software to do it.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I believe there might be more files than just the s-curve (which is mostly the actual shelf) and the frontline (think we know which one that is) also the seperator file.

I'm not at my mac at work or else I'd look but go back into the .app and check all the png's.

6. AliensExist4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info and sorry about the pic size. Can anyone give me directions on the proper way of making my dock totally translucent? And then we can go from there? Thanks

-Patrick

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

When I get home I can post the png files to 'rename' or 'delete'. I've done it before but can't remember the file names.

I've done some custom dock indicators and in most of my example pics the dock is totally removed.

8. AliensExist4 thread starter macrumors member

kkat69: That would be great. I'll check in a little bit. Thanks

-Patrick

9. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Man, I wish my iMac was just a tad bit more portable :D

I looked and (short of ruining my own dock) all I can say is try mucking with the png files. Goto coverflow view so you can preview the icons and anything png that's not curved, try renaming it and restart the dock.

I had to many things going on last night I couldn't sit down and really go through all the png files. Sorry man. I did some googling this morning and couldn't find a definitive list of png's that make up the dock either. :(

10. AliensExist4 thread starter macrumors member

kkat69: Ya I think it has something to do with my .png files. Ok so when I totally deleted them from Resources it would make my dock totally Transparent which I wanted but would leave those tracer marks whenever the dock came up from hiding or moved from the magnetization of the apps. when going over them with the cursor. Now, when I put my .png files back it goes back to my original custom dock. The thing is I have to put all of the scurve .png files in the Resources to make it work. Is this true?

-Patrick

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

2 things to remember:

1. As I stated earlier, the dock is made up of more than just the scurve files. In order to ensure it completely goes away try zipping up all the *.png files you see and remove them and restart your dock.
    2. Dashboard also shares png files inside the dock.app if I'm not mistaken. If you remove png files it might mess up the dashboard (if you use it).

EDIT: Check the PNG's that look like there's nothing there. Like shadow.png or what not. I don't see any that might help but who knows. As stated, my dock is fine so I'm not mucking it up.

12. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Sorry to go off topic a little here but you guys seem to know how to hack OS X's look... any chance someone also knows and could describe how to make 10.5.2 menus (not menubar) translucent like before 10.5.2?? If so, please advise. It would be greatly appreciated!!

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

It's not AS translucent but it's still translucent. As far as controlling the opacity to allow more to shine through no, maybe google but offhand no.