Transparent Icon for a Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael4824, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Michael4824 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure I'm in the right forum here...

I currently have a .PNG icon, and I would like to assign it to a folder, so the folder icon would be this one (It's a snow flake, which at first glance, makes me think of Winter Quarter for school, aka, the folder name.)

I know how to assign the icon to the folder, without any problems. (Right Click-->Get Info-->And drag the icon to the Top Left). However, when the icon (which is transparent, I'm 120% sure) is displayed, the background is white. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, except the icon also appears on my Finder sidebar, since it's a folder I use a lot.

Using Icon Composer (/Developer/Applications/Utilities), I tried making it an icns, just to see what would happen. But, like most icons I've tried, this appears when I drag it. And I assure you, this is not the icon I'm trying to make the folder appear as:

[​IMG]

So, my question is, how do I transform this transparent PNG icon to be transparent when it's assigned as an icon for a folder. Incase it matters, the icon is 256x256, with a 72 pixels/inch Resolution. I've tried playing with the sizes a lot, and I believe I read somewhere that the resolution actually matters for OSX to take the icon.

Thanks for the help!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ok I know you said you are "120%" sure that your icon is transparent, but does that include background layers as well? What did you use to make the png in the first place?

3. rimoun macrumors newbie

Hi
    I'm experiencing the same problem Also and I'm sure the problem is not caused by the icons as I tried to use many popular icon sets and the result is the same :(

Attached Files:

4. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

You might have already tried this, but it didnt say...

If you open the .png in preview, then press cmd+a then copy, then go back out of preview, open up the get info pane for the file you want to change, and paste into the icon section.

A lot of people try and do this without going into preview, and get the same result you have.