Transparent Monitors!

SimonMTL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
22
0
Montreal Canada
You thought owning a Mac was cool?

See what's brewing in our French cousins' artistic minds at this address:

http://files.macbidouille.com/transparent/

This is simply mindboggling!!

How about it? Can anyone do better?!?

:cool:

C'mon North America, let's do one better against our friendly European Macheads!!!


Simon.
 

Attachments


CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
1,518
0
That is freakin awesome! I hope they actually do make transparent screens one day. That would be so cool. Id be sold! :D
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
Some of them look very fishy. You can shoot the PBs with a bluescreen desktop and later composite it in flawlessly. Maybe lighten or darken the monitor screen so it doesn't look too real.

Some of them are fakes.
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
2,881
0
Is this simply VERY good pics or some sort of other thing that I can't come up with a name for :confused:
 

jwtillema

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
13
0
They're fakes!

1) If they were real, why aren't there any pictures of the rear of the monitors?
2) If you look at the pic of the Formac display, you can see the 3rd leg below the display, which should be mounted to the rear of the display in the middle somewhere, but strangely it's missing when looking through the display. Also missing is the cable from the iSight atop the monitor.
3) In the picture of the powerbook sitting by the window in the dimly lit room, the window mouldings don't line up.
4) There doesn't need to be a number 4. After 3 inconsistencies, I stopped looking. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
jwtillema said:
1) If they were real, why aren't there any pictures of the rear of the monitors?
Why would there be?

Just to clear something up. These illusions are done my having wallpapers on the desktop that matches of what would be there if the monitor were see through, right?
 

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
36,039
3,251
Los Angeles
I think you could make one of these images by taking a photo with the monitor present, using a tripod, then repeating the photo with the monitor removed. Then you put the first photo over the second in Photoshop and make the screen area partially transparent. The monitor's screen would appear to see through to the background.
 

bellychris

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
52
0
New Jersey
tech4all said:
Why would there be?

Just to clear something up. These illusions are done my having wallpapers on the desktop that matches of what would be there if the monitor were see through, right?
yeah I thought it that was the purpose. Thats a great idea for stationary desktops
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
Looks cool but would be a nightmare to work on, especially photo-retouching. I've also got a gripe with the semi-transparent menus in Office 2004.

There's useful eye-candy and then there's ergonomically-unsound bells and whistles.
 

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
3,399
489
NorCal
While these may or may not be real, it is possible to do this as having the desktop's background be that image. Course in real-life, since you can see it at different angles, it would only work at one strict angle which would have to be determined prior to just shooting the photograph.

But for just showing the photo, Doctor Q's way seems to work, especially with a laptop. Just sit in front of the laptop, take a picture of it, then put the lid down while keeping the camera at the same spot and take another picture. Then do the magic in Photoshop.

Nonetheless, it's still a very interesting concept. It's similar to the one someone posted a while back where the background on the iMac G5 was a transparent image of the logic board and such behind the screen itself.
 

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
3,221
0
51st State of America
Mine



All i did was set my camera up to the edges of the screen, close the lid. Then took the picture. Made that picture my desktop image and then took another photo making sure everything fits as best it can.

Its fun and not hard. It isn't my destop picture btw, I just did it and went back my normal set of images.
 

.dan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2005
33
0
Doncaster/Lincoln, UK
jwtillema said:
They're fakes!

1) If they were real, why aren't there any pictures of the rear of the monitors?
2) If you look at the pic of the Formac display, you can see the 3rd leg below the display, which should be mounted to the rear of the display in the middle somewhere, but strangely it's missing when looking through the display. Also missing is the cable from the iSight atop the monitor.
3) In the picture of the powerbook sitting by the window in the dimly lit room, the window mouldings don't line up.
4) There doesn't need to be a number 4. After 3 inconsistencies, I stopped looking. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.
:rolleyes: :D

That's made my day that has. Of course they are fakes, silly. I think we'd know if there was transparent LCD screens available. They are all done with a camera and Photoshop (or another piece of image software)
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jwtillema said:
They're fakes!

1) If they were real, why aren't there any pictures of the rear of the monitors?
2) If you look at the pic of the Formac display, you can see the 3rd leg below the display, which should be mounted to the rear of the display in the middle somewhere, but strangely it's missing when looking through the display. Also missing is the cable from the iSight atop the monitor.
3) In the picture of the powerbook sitting by the window in the dimly lit room, the window mouldings don't line up.
4) There doesn't need to be a number 4. After 3 inconsistencies, I stopped looking. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.
Glad you're on the case, they almost had me fooled as well! :p :rolleyes: :D
 

SimonMTL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
22
0
Montreal Canada
edesignuk said:
Glad you're on the case, they almost had me fooled as well! :p :rolleyes: :D
AHAHAHAHAH!!!

I am the originator of the thread, and I might have forgotten to explain how these pictures were made, simply because I didn't think there was a NEED for it! :rolleyes:

** Transparent monitors do not exist, these pictures are just optical illusions! :D

Nobody has used a blue screen for it, then Photoshop - the whole point is to be able to create the illusion by just taking the right picture and aligning it properly.

As ONE person figured out (Bravo CrackedButter!!!) you take a picture of the desk / background without the computer, then you crop it properly and use it as your desktop picture. You then put your monitor back on the table with your new desktop, and take a picture of that, making sure the illusion is complete and everything looks good (cables behind are always pretty entertaining and increase the effect!)

Having 2 or 3 screens in the illusion makes it that much harder to create (but so much more impressive!)

Have fun!
 

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
4,265
76
SimonMTL said:
AHAHAHAHAH!!!

I am the originator of the thread, and I might have forgotten to explain how these pictures were made, simply because I didn't think there was a NEED for it! :rolleyes:

** Transparent monitors do not exist, these pictures are just optical illusions! :D
No way! I could have sworn someone actually installed a transparent LCD screen AND an invisible logicboard on that iMac G5. :rolleyes: :p
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
edesignuk said:
Glad you're on the case, they almost had me fooled as well! :p :rolleyes: :D

Wait you mean there are not really ibooks and powerbooks with transparent screens!?!?!

LOL...I love all the "Pshop busters" these days...everyone thinks they know when something is photoshopped, and have to call it out to prove their superior photoshop skills or something.

Of course it's fake people...Apple has not released laptops with transparent screens, and the method used is much easier than photoshopping. It's a matter of taking a photo of what's behind your screen and setting it as the desktop wallpaper.

Now if someone could figure out how to turn an iSight around backwards and have the video from it be the wallpaper, that'd be something special!
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
jwtillema said:
They're fakes!

4) There doesn't need to be a number 4. After 3 inconsistencies, I stopped looking. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble.

thanks man...now I'm depressed. :p
 

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
1,304
2
No one noticed on the iMac G5 pics that the screen had no computer chips etc behind it nor the power cord lol.
 

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
760
0
EJBasile said:
No one noticed on the iMac G5 pics that the screen had no computer chips etc behind it nor the power cord lol.

Aha! So these effects are fake then! :D