Transparent screen descends "Must Restart Now"!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kifried, Dec 7, 2010.

1. kifried macrumors newbie

While checking my email this morning a black transparent screen descended from the top of the screen of my iMac and swept to the bottom of the screen. A little box popped up saying, in several languages "Must Restart Now". I followed the directions since I was locked out to do anything else and restarted. The computer reboot and I was at my home screen which soon thereafter froze again causing me to have to restart.

Now, the computer will not boot up. I hit the power key, the ping sound is made like it's booting and then after apple logo appears it suddently shuts off. I've put in the install disk and held down "c" while botting up and it has brought me to the screen where it wants to format the hd and reload the OS...

is this my only option at this point, my hd was not backed up so sadly I'd lose a bunch of stuff.
    I'm running a 20" iMac that I purchased in april of 2008 that has not been upgraded, all original OS

any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks, Ken

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You could start up from the DVD and try a Disk Repair from the Utilities Menu, or you could hold down Command+S on Startup and try a file system check.

4. kifried thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

so, what does the command + s screen tell me. I have a lot of text that I don't know how to read? And, the kernel panic is right, that's the screen I saw. How might I resolve this issue then?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

At the prompt, press f s c k (space) - f. When the check is complete, press reboot (space) - n to restart. This will check that everything is in the right place without going through Disk Utility.

6. lois228lois macrumors newbie

IMac :: Transparent Screen Descends "Must Restart Now"?

This may help for any one reading:
    I had the same problem with my iMac.
    When it would not fix upon restart, I treated it as a glitch.
    Turned computer off again, then unplugged power cord and replugged back in very carefully to avoid spark. Then turned computer back on and now everything appears back to normal.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You were lucky - most kernel panics aren't solved that easily (voice of experience)

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, most kernel panics are fairly uncommon for most users and don't usually require any further attention. When you get recurring kernel panics, it's a problem, and not always easily solved, as you said.

"You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
    Mac OS X 10.7 Help: If “You need to restart your computer” appears
    Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
    Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics
    Resolving Kernel Panics