Transporter NAS & Personal Dropbox Replacements

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swwack91, Sep 17, 2013.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

Hi folks!

I'm looking for a large Dropbox alternative. I'd like to keep my iTunes library (750GB) in the cloud so that it can be kept in sync across multiple Macs.

I like the idea of the Transporter, but have heard some mixed things about its software being buggy. My favorite feature is that it behaves like Dropbox, storing the data locally on each Mac while keeping those folders in sync.

LaCie CloudBox also looks like a great deal, but I really want that sync & store locally (Dropbox-like) functionality that Transporter offers.

Any suggestions? Is there any personal cloud software out there that runs off any NAS?

Discuss!

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Are you saying you want the same iTunes library on multiple MACs and have them kept in sync, or a single library somewhere that is shared between all the devices?

The best way, in terms of least problems, seems to be to run a OSX server (either on a spare Mac or a mini) that has a shared iTunes library. There are alternatives, depending on how much tech savvy you have. If you are only using mac computers, you probably won't need the server app.

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

WD MyBook Live? It even syncs with the actual Dropbox if you choose to do so.

4. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to have the same iTunes library on multiple Macs and have them kept in sync. However, I'm looking to have a NAS / personal cloud set up for other reasons as well. That's not a make or break feature for me.

I just looked into the WD solution and it doesn't make any mention of Dropbox functionality.

By far the most important feature for me is that the data is downloaded locally to multiple Macs.

5. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Apparently, WD provides that feature via WD Smartware now. It is however "personal cloud storage" even without the Dropbox functionality.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=940

You could also archive that functionality with rsync (i.e. arRsync on Macs) with any kind of storage.
    [​IMG]

6. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked into WD Smartware and it doesn't seem to have the passive, always on, background functionality of Dropbox or even Transporter's software.

I'm thinking Transporter may be the best solution.

7. yaredna macrumors member

Read the reviews of the transporter on NewEgg.com. This thing is a good idea implemented so badly, few can work with it.

Just be careful: your posts may sound like a marketer working for transporter, drumming to the corporate beat... I am sure you're simply a user like me, still waiting for a solution