Transporting a HDD overseas

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tineofpower, Jan 2, 2010.

1. tineofpower macrumors newbie

I'm leaving for Europe monday (from america) and I wanted to know if it is safe to pack my backup HDD in my checked baggage. I was planning on sticking it between a bunch of clothes to pad it. I'm flying American Airlines/Aer Lingus if that matters.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Were I you, I'd take it in my carry-on. While I'm near-certain none of the scanners they use on checked baggage will cause any damage to a drive and it should be ok even with rough handling if you pack it in your clothes, as the referenced link says the TSA doesn't always put stuff back in the suitcase the way it came out--I've seen this firsthand on multiple occasions. If anything I'd say you're lucky if they do even half as good a job re-packing as you did packing, and that's when you go out of your way to lay it out so it's easy to remove and check.

If, either due to incompetence or just bad luck, they end up putting the drive on the outside of the suitcase and it gets hit hard by another piece of luggage or dropped on that side, there's no guarantee the drive will survive.

Me, I'm going to keep anything as fragile as a hard drive (and as valuable, in terms of contents) as close to my hands as possible. It's worth giving up a paperback's worth of space and an extra couple pounds of weight in your carry-on for.

Also, of course, make sure you have a backup you're leaving at home.