Transporting a new iMac back and forth between work and home?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stanw, Oct 26, 2013.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2007
    I'm thinking of getting a VESA mounted 27 inch iMac and hooking up an arm to my desk at home and at work so that I can pop it in at both locations. I think without the stand (since I will get the VESA mount) it is about 20lbs. Is this just a bad idea to take it back and forth like this? I'm planning to get an SSD so no moving parts there.

2. AaronM5670 macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2012
    Bad idea - it'll most likely end in tears. Get the new rMBP, it looks awesome and while it costs a bit more it's still a very powerful machine and is very portable - much more so than an iMac!
  3. DerekS macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2007
    I second this. You don't want to try and lug that thing around.

Get yourself a nice rMBP and a thunderbolt display for each location.
  4. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2011
    Horrible idea. I agree with the other posts. Buy a rMBP and a Thunderbolt Display for both areas and just use that.
  5. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2010
    Great idea, if you've an red iWagon to haul it back and forth. No red iWagon, forget it.
  6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    With the likelihood that the iMac will get busted one day during its regular trips back and forth, you'll probably spend a lot less money in the long run getting a MacBook Pro and two 27 inch VESA mounted displays... maybe even a couple Apple TVs at each location connected to those displays so that you can AirPlay instead of connecting cables.
  7. MikeChicago macrumors member

Sep 30, 2013
    I second the notion that transporting the iMac back and forth is a bad idea...