Transporting Mac in Sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoctorPeppers, Sep 5, 2009.

1. DoctorPeppers macrumors newbie

DoctorPeppers

I just bought a Macbook Pro not even a month ago and its my first Mac. Since school has officially started i had a couple questions regarding my MBP. Basically i'm wondering if its harmful to carry my MBP while its in sleep mode. I carry it in my backpack (which has a sleeve for laptops) and i was to make sure i'm not damaging the HDD or any other hardware since its being shifted around while technically powered on. I figured apple would have taken this all into consideration since Macbooks are so popular among students. But can anyone give me any input on this. I really dont want to damage my $1600+ investment. thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. celticpride678

Carrying the notebook in sleep mode is perfectly fine. Just make sure it went to sleep and stays in sleep.

4. soms macrumors 6502

soms

That's exactly what sleep mode was designed for. What I do is make sure it powers down though before I put it in the sleeve or whatever you are carrying it in. One time it must have frozen or something and it was running in closed mode for 20-30 minutes in a sleeve, was hot :(

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Make sure it is done going into safe sleep before you move it, or you might damage the hard drive. You can tell because the front light will start flashing.

6. Vster macrumors 6502

Same here, I didn't make sure it went to sleep and this sucker got really hot. Still works great though :D