Transporting old iMac G4 - advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pavinder, Mar 9, 2009.

1. pavinder macrumors member

Not really sure which forum this one belongs in....hope this is the right one.

I have an old iMac G4, which I'm replacing with a new one. It's a beautiful machine, 20" screen, in top condition but is too slow for my needs nowdays so I'd like to give it to my parents in Australia, who are constantly beset with problems on their old Windows machine.
    At 18kg just for the computer (probably close to 20kg including box, speakers, keyboard etc), it would cost me a fortune to ship it via the postal system, more than it's worth.

I'm flying to Australia soon and am considering checking it in as oversized baggage. This means it'll be carried seperately from the bulk baggage and perhaps be treated with a little more care, especially if it's emblazoned with FRAGILE stickers. I have all the original boxes and packaging so it'll be properly foam-packed etc, but of course some airport worker may well ignore any FRAGILE stickers and just chuck it around.

I plan to add extra layers of board to protect the screen from piercing, but are there any other precautions I should take? I realise the retail packaging is meant for bulk transport, not for individual shipping, but the iMac seems quite snug and well cushioned inside.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Are the machines so fragile that I'm running a massive risk in shipping it this way?

Thanks in advance for advice...

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh heavens, if there was ever a computer I'd be terrified to transport it's the one with a 1" tube connecting display to base. Best of luck to you. Just don't fly Air Canada. :p

3. pavinder thread starter macrumors member

On QANTAS.
    With the foam packaging everything is very intact in the box. The "tube" is flat and well protected and can't twist or move at all.

4. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

Hmmmm..... I understand the sentimental aspect of wanting to take care of your parents. But I think you would save money in the long run by just buying a used MacMini, putting that in your regular baggage, and then buy a monitor once you get there.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You might want to see if you can buy an original box for it.

Otherwise you risk damage.

6. pavinder thread starter macrumors member

I agree for transport purposes a Mini would be great, but my main reason for wanting to take the iMac (other than giving my parents a gift) is that otherwise it will remain unused once I buy my new machine. I simply don't have any real need for it, but wouldn't sell it, such a classic machine.

Transport=risk, you think? Are you suggesting I may end up with a box full of damaged goods at the other end?

7. pavinder thread starter macrumors member

I do have the original box and packaging....
    What damage do you think is the greatest risk? Is there anything I can add to the box to protect against that?

8. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

pavinder - fragile stickers on the package will almost assure extra special rough handling as people work out their frustrations. I have seen checked baggage dropped 6' from a hatch to a loading ramp.

That computer arriving in good condition would be a miracle.

I would sell it locally and treat my parents to a new Mac mini :)

If you don't want to sell it just use it for email, etc.

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would not worry too much about damage then. The packaging is designed to take a lot of abuse.

I remember during my short stint at CompUSA a G5 in its box was dropped from about 15 feet. Everything was intact. For some reason they stacked all extra inventory on shelves 10 feet above everyones heads then would stack the boxes up to 5 on top of each other, this G5 was stacked on top of another. This was in earthquake prone California with no restraints above customers and employees.