Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stealthsniper96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2007
ive heard that it isnt a good idea to move laptops around while their in sleep b/c the HD is still on but i dont wana be turning it on and off at school next year b4 and aftr all the classes so is it bad to move it around in a case while its sleeping or no?

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
When your computer is put to sleep, the RAM is the only thing actively running. The hard drive is asleep and its head parked to avoid scratching your disk.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
yea the RAM wont really even technically be running, it will only be powered. the HDD is definately not spinning at all, im not even sure if it gets any power to it.

creator2456

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago
ive heard that it isnt a good idea to move laptops around while their in sleep b/c the HD is still on but i dont wana be turning it on and off at school next year b4 and aftr all the classes so is it bad to move it around in a case while its sleeping or no?

It will be just fine transporting it around while in sleep mode.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I do it all the time and I'm sure everyone else does. The computer is pretty much off with the exception of RAM still retaining power and its contents.

There isn't any problems with doing that. However, you might want to turn wake up when lid opens off - I've found on the rare occasion that during the transportation of my MBP the lid has moved ever so slightly and the computer wakes up.

To do this, open Terminal (found in Utilities) and enter the command, sudo pmset -a lidwake 0

ardent11

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Sydney
Today I was out and about with my new MBP, as I usually do and when I sat down and opened the lid, I was greeted with a "Starting Mac OS X" screen, I was thinking maybe it was in one of those deep sleeps for some reason, but once I logged in, nothing was open. I put my MBP to sleep before I put it in my bag.

What could of caused this? Big bump maybe? I don't remember bumping it at all though.

anirban

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Today I was out and about with my new MBP, as I usually do and when I sat down and opened the lid, I was greeted with a "Starting Mac OS X" screen, I was thinking maybe it was in one of those deep sleeps for some reason, but once I logged in, nothing was open. I put my MBP to sleep before I put it in my bag.

What could of caused this? Big bump maybe? I don't remember bumping it at all though.

Complete battery drain? Battery came off accidentally? (although if its an intel MBP, it should go into hibernation)..

ardent11

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Sydney
Complete battery drain? Battery came off accidentally? (although if its an intel MBP, it should go into hibernation)..

Battery was full, well over 90% charge I'm sure, not sure if the battery came out, but it was in when I opened it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.