Transposing while recording??Possible with GarageBand?

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Hi, I am learning a new song on the piano and it is played, at the lowest, 3 octaves down from middle C. The problem is my keyboard only has 64 keys and only reaches to the second octave down. I am using a MIDI connection and I want to be able to have GarageBand transpose the keyboard while I am playing. So, say I play the song up on middle C but it would sound like it was down 3 octaves. I can't find a way to do this while recording. You can transpose after you record, that is not a problem, but it would nice to hear it the right way while I play it. Any suggestions? I have searched all through GarageBand can't find a way. Might be another suggestion I send to apple as feedback soon.

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I guess from the amount of responses there is no way to do this. I will just have to find another way to do it.

Comment

stoid

macrumors 601
Some keyboards have built-in transpose features, the most I've seen is a 12-not (1 octave) transpose in each direction. I don't have a USB MIDI box, so I can't hook my keyboard up to my laptop, but if you create a track, and set the transpose down, and then record to it, what does it do?

Comment

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Yeah, my keyboard can do upto 12 by itself, but when I connect it to my computer, nothing is changed. I will keep trying and see if I can come up with anything.

Comment

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Just wanted to share with everyone what I have come up with for transposing while recording with Garageband. I find this program called MIDI Patchbay. It can transpose the MIDI information from my piano before it gets to Garageband, but I haven't quite figured out how to make it not send the original note as well. So basically I am getting two notes when I press one key; the original and the transposed one. I will keep playing around with it to see if i can solve the problem.

Comment

theolog

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
looking for the answer...

did you ever figure out how to make this work? I'm a fellow South Carolinian who's trying to transpose via midi :)

Comment