Trascend Jetdrive SD Battery impact

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ignaciobarrena, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ignaciobarrena macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

Hello there, I've been thinking for a while about getting one of these , but I'm concerned about if it will prevent my rMBP 13" 2015 from sleep and I don't know if It will have an impact on the battery life...Any other things to consider?

I plan to transfer my iTunes Library (almost 100GB) and my Sample Library ( around 15GB)

Any experience with these SD cards ?

2. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

Anything connected to the IO (USB, HDMI and yes, SD Card) is gonna suck a little bit more power out of the battery than otherwise disconnected. How much exactly, I can't say for certain but it also depends on if things will be read/written onto it to, etc.

Moving your iTunes library to the SD card is technically possible but just keep in mind that doing things in iTunes will be slower than if you kept your library on the internal SSD, because the performance of reading/writing off that blows away even the fastest SD card you can buy.

3. tivoboy macrumors 68040

I've had one in a 2012 rmpb for several years and don't notice any battery drain at all really. I put it to sleep at 85% and 12 hours later it's either 85% or 84%.

4. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

Did you notice any extra battery drain while using the laptop? I'm getting around 8-10h when doing light tasks

5. tivoboy macrumors 68040

6. ignaciobarrena thread starter macrumors regular

ignaciobarrena

In the specs it says: Operating Voltage 2.7-3.6V Don't know what that means in terms of battery usage

7. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

As Apple documents, anything in the SD slot will prevent the laptop from entering deep sleep. Nowhere does it say that the laptop won't sleep.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202124