trash can empties immediately

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TomSouth, Mar 30, 2010.

1. TomSouth macrumors newbie

Suddenly, every file I put in the trash can is emptied immediately. This has never happened before, and I do not believe it is because of a setting somewhere that I changed. Any tips on how to prevent this?

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac
    OS X V.10.6.2

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

3. TomSouth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, JNB. I'd already check out the thexlab site, and others. There is no ownership issue. The difference is that I do not receive any "will be deleted immediately" alert. The files just disappear. I cannot even find another reference to this exact issue in my web searches. Any other thoughts?

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

Make sure your .Trash directory is still there and is a directory and not a file. I think I read somewhere that creating a .Trash file to replace the .Trash directory will result in this behavior.

5. TomSouth thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved. The issue of ownership got me thinking about permissions. I ran Disk Utility & repaired permissions. It found one minor issue (something about a file called "derby") and fixed it. I don't know how that relates to the Trash can issue, but my trash seems to have returned to normal. Thank you both.