Trash Contents

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by luvskot, Aug 2, 2012.

1. luvskot macrumors newbie

I'm really thankful for this forum, especially this Mac Basics and Help section. I got my first Mac three months ago, and there are definitely challenges in learing how to use it. Sometimes I feel like I'm a computer newbie.

There's something interesting going on with my trash contents. My habit in the past has always been to empty the trash as soon as I put something there. I'm not sure if that's the smartest thing to do, but I've always done it that ways. There's something unpleasant about an overflowing trash can...

Anyway...sometimes when I empty the trash (usually without looking at the contents) it shows as many as 1800 items which need to be removed. Now I KNOW I haven't put that much in, so where does this stuff come from? I'm thinking maybe some kind of routine maintenance procedure that happens when my computer is sleeping. It takes a long time to delete and so far it's been the only time I've heard fan noise on my Macbook Pro. Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried looking at your trash contents before emptying, to see what items are there? There are many possibilities for what they can be.

3. luvskot thread starter macrumors newbie

I will definitely look at the contents from here on out.

4. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

If you deleted an app or system folder, those usually contain hundreds of hidden files. Also, OSX and Windows keep hidden 'duplicates' (only weight about 4kb) of every file for faster searching, maybe those are getting deleted as well.

5. luvskot thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm curious. What happens when you delete the history and cookies from Safari? Are these files moved to the trash. If so, that may be part of it.:confused:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they're deleted without appearing in the trash.