Trash doesn't secure empty and other things

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mooty, Oct 28, 2007.

1. mooty macrumors regular

Anyone else found that if they set up finder to always empty trash securely, that it doesn't? I've found that it does if I do the keyboard shortcut, however if I option-click on the trash can to empty, it does a normal empty.

Oh and sometimes Trash crashes out when emptying...

Finder coverflow is a little screwy. If you have a bunch of files, and start deleting them (cmd+backspace) one by one, it will go through the list until about 4-5 way through it just stops. You then have to re-highlight.

Preview is really slow. When cropping images it re-builds the new cropped image in squares. It also never displays the cropped image to fill the Preview window, unless you tell it too. This setting seems to be on a one pic basis which is naff - you should be able to "stretch to fit" for all pics (and the setting to save).

My list of ongoing gripes...

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

What is "secure empty" exactly? I was wondering about that when I saw it. Will it be removed from Time Machine archives for instance?

3. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

secure empty is when os x overwrites the data on the drive, rather than just marking it as "deleted". This is more secure. It would be good if time-machine took this into consideration...

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Hmm, don't know about the Time Machine, but secure delete is supposed to be a real deletion of a file. Usually, when you "delete" something, the drive simply removes information about the file being in the filesystem, it doesn't overwrite the data (that's why a regular deletion only takes a second, even if you're deleting a large file that's several gigs). The consequence of that is the ability to simply restore the "deleted" data with data recovery tools.

Secure deletion on the other side actually removes data from the disk. In some *nix operating systems, it writes random bits over it several times, it may just write zeros once, I'm not sure about how it's done in OSX, but it makes you sure that your roomate won't be able to get the naked pics of your GF after you've securely deleted them from your memory card ;).

EDIT: mooty beat me to it

5. Captain-Fungi macrumors member

I was actually wondering about this, this morning. Time Machine should have a feature where you can erase all instances of a file. It doesn't have this feature at the moment does it?

6. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

I dont think so, I think you can still go back in time on the trash... I will check when my Trash can stops hanging... :mad:

7. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

you can delete files by gong into timemachine, selecting the files you want to delete then pressing the Options/Cog button and choosing "Delete all backups of _______"

8. mooty thread starter macrumors regular

I cant access Trash form Time Machine, so no worries there...