Trash error message

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gilliard, Dec 13, 2013.

1. gilliard macrumors newbie

Hi hope you can help. I get an error message when I try to delete the contents of the trash, it reads: The operation can't be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error -8003). I have shut down and started but it stays the same. I have done verify disc and the result was: disk appears to be ok.
    There is hardly anything in the trash, just one screen shot 70KB, 2 folders: (msoclip, this folder says the error code) Recovered files:(nothing in this folder). All that is left is the Picasa Application which I did not want, this is 86.4 MB. I am wondering if this is what is causing the problem so can you guys suggest something, thanks in advance.
    gilliard :)

2. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Apparently unexpected and unknown.

Code:
    MacUser2525:~$ macerror -8003
    Unknown error (-8003) at /usr/bin/macerror5.16 line 40, <DATA> line 1.

MacUser2525:~$ macerror 8003
    Unknown error (8003) at /usr/bin/macerror5.16 line 40, <DATA> line 1.

MacUser2525:~$ rm -r .Trash/*

Open Terminal and use the last line the rm one, if it complains it still cannot do it then put sudo at the front of the command.

3. gilliard thread starter macrumors newbie

error code 8003

Thanks for replying so quickly, I am afraid I am no programer and not sure what to do with your instructions. May I ask for a step by step instruction unless there is another way. Maybe I will do a start up disk clean what do you think. Thanks again. :)

4. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Go to the Applications folder then Utilities folder select the Terminal once it opens type in then hit the enter key rm -r .Trash/*. This will manually delete the files contained in the trash and if it complains you do not have permission then use sudo rm -r .Trash/* type in your account password and this will delete the files as root.