.Trash folder? Help I messed something up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lyons238, Apr 1, 2010.

1. lyons238 macrumors 6502

ok well i just got my new hd in. i was installing all my apps i need. and then i was installing hdamp and i did something in terminal.

now in finder i have folders called .Trash and like .DS_Store which i think is part of smcfancontrol. i actually now have a ton of weird named folders iv never seen before in finder right next to my user folder and app folder etc...

what did i do??? help plz

edit: does anyone else see windows symbols in my sig? i dont see how when i put the (apple) symbol in. weird..

2. lozzy1234567890 macrumors member

Files like .Trash are hidden files, so i would gather that u have changed the settings in the terminal to that so u can see hidden files, nothing a quick terminal thing can do, or a preference app, etc, look at the link. and yes, i see the windows logo in ur sig weirdly. http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008/04/show-hidden-files.html

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

The only thing I can help with, is the windows icons are a little Macrumors Aprils Fools joke :D

4. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok i actually had to type in a diff command in terminal but i figured it out. i got the hidden folders hidden again.

but what if i deleted any of these? are you even able to delete hidden folders? i hope i didnt mess anything up

5. lozzy1234567890 macrumors member

if ur still able to do anything you need to do, then it should be fine. if ur become paraniod over it, you can just restore it from a previous backup, assuming u do backup.

6. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

everything seems to be working fine. but can you even delete hidden folders?

and this is a new hd. i have my old hd with all my data on it but i just reinstalled osx and everything to start fresh

edit: and for some reason both cpu cores run at about 50% each while i watch youtube videos, and with my old hard drive they each ran at about 20% each...why could this be. i have adobe flash 10.1 beta 3 on both..