Trash Icon Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eleven7, Apr 23, 2009.

1. eleven7 macrumors regular

Still a new mac user and have been playing around getting to know os x. The other day I was modifying my dock settings and have got it to a place which I'm happy with, apart from one problem. I was experimenting with different trash icons but decided to stick with the original so changed them back. Now, every time I shutdown and reboot, the trash icon is showing up as one of the trash icons I was experimenting, regardless of whether or not there is anything in the trash.

If the trash has something in it, the wrong icon will be displayed before automatically switching to the correct one. However, if the trash is empty on startup, I have to put something in it, then empty the trash before the correct icon shows up. I have checked that I have deleted all the icons I was experimenting with but it seems like it the unwanted icon has been saved somewhere in memory and is the default trash icon on startup?

Any ideas on what's going on or how to fix the problem?

Thanks

2. eleven7 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to bump but I still haven't found a solution and my next stop will be a re-install. Done a full search and have deleted all copies of the image I used for the trashfull but somehow it's still getting read in from somewhere on startup. (If my rubbish is empty).