Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I now have had my 1st mac for 4 months and have come upon a new obstacle-trash.

1. I would like to delete only a few items and not my whole bin. Is this possible? Can't figure this out.

2. Also, what is the difference between empty trash and secure empty trash? I read what the pop up said but I don't get it.

3. Memory Sticks/crads are another issue for me. Whenever I put my pictures on my imac via camera/usb, iphoto asks if I want to erase my pics off the camera. I click yes and then look at the contents of my memory card and I see nothing, yet it is still not empty?

I'm sure there is a logical solution but I have not found any literature in this. If anyone has any advice or a link that I can go to that would be great.

-cfs

ChrisN

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2007
Demarest, NJ

1. I would like to delete only a few items and not my whole bin. Is this possible? Can't figure this out.

2. Also, what is the difference between empty trash and secure empty trash? I read what the pop up said but I don't get it.

3. Memory Sticks/crads are another issue for me. Whenever I put my pictures on my imac via camera/usb, iphoto asks if I want to erase my pics off the camera. I click yes and then look at the contents of my memory card and I see nothing, yet it is still not empty?

I'm sure there is a logical solution but I have not found any literature in this. If anyone has any advice or a link that I can go to that would be great.

-cfs

Why don't you make a folder named trash and than put the things you want to actually throw out in the actual trash bin.

I'm pretty sure secure does more passes and makes it harder or impossible to recover.

ChrisN

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

1. I would like to delete only a few items and not my whole bin. Is this possible? ...
No, it is not. If you empty the Trash, then the Trash is empty. MacOS X does not partially delete. If there are files that you want to keep, then don't put them in the Trash. Put them is a logical place where they will not be accidentally deleted.

You question is not clear. If you are asking if iPhoto really deletes pictures if you allow it to delete them following a download, then the answer is "Yes." iPhoto will really delete your pictures if that is your selection.

patrickmacrumor

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Why don't you make a folder named trash and than put the things you want to actually throw out in the actual trash bin.

There is a way, but it involves using the use of the Terminal.

1. Open a Terminal window
2. Type: cd .Trash
3. To list the content in the Trash: ls
4. To remove file name todelete.doc: rm todelete.doc

As always, be careful with the commands. As suggested by MisterMe, if the files are actually files that you intend to keep, place them in a different folder: it's so easy to empty the Trash without thinking.

--
Patrick

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.