Trash not getting empty

Discussion in 'macOS' started by John01021988, Nov 10, 2007.

1. John01021988 macrumors 6502

I cant empty my trash can! It shows that I have 1 item on it but I cant even see it (hidden probably) I've tried force empty trash, root access, option empty trash, but still cant get rid of that "1 item" What can I do?
    And yes, I am running Leopard, Macbook 2.16 GHZ

2. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Secure Empty Trash shall do the trick. If it doesn't maybe it's an error saying a file is still there ? Try re-launching the Finder.

3. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried restarting, relaunching, secure delete, etc and still, the trash bin shows "paper" and when I open it, it has one item, even though nothing is inside

4. baummer macrumors 6502a

Open Terminal. Type this command EXACTLY (in fact copy and paste, but be sure to copy the entire text and no extra spaces), if you do not you risk erasing your hard drive:

Code:
    sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
    You will likely be asked for a password unless you have already done a sudo session in the same window.

5. TheStu macrumors 65816

Have you tried throwing something else away and then emptying it?

6. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've done both things mentioned above. When I put an item inside, it shows 2 items, even though I can only see one

7. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

If a sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash doesn't help then it probably is not in ~/.Trash. It could be a cross-linked item. Are you running windows on another disk or partition?

Try running Disk Utility >> Verify Disk.

If you have Windows installed then boot up from that volume and check it.

-mj

8. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are right! I have this program called Compost and it shows the trash bins for every partition. In my iPod trash, I have 0 items, in my OS X .trash, I have 0 items and in my windows partition I have 1 item, which is hidden. So do I have to boot up in the dark side to get rid of this file?

9. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

I've never been on The Dark Side myself, but someone fixed the same issue by booting up in Windows and running the disk repair or whatever it's called there. Or, just remove it from the Trash or empty it.

Compost, LOL!

-mj

10. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it seems that unmounting the windows partition fixed the problem. Its actually not a Leopard issue, it came from the dark side :S :S One more reason for leaving windows just to play games :D

11. macjack1 macrumors regular

macjack1

Glad to hear it's sorted out (well, worked-around) at least you know what it is. You really didn't want to boot Windows, did you ? ;-)

-mj

12. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

ejjeje no, but still, when the windows partition is mounted, I get "trash" in my trash thing..... Well, theres gotta be a file around that is doing that.

13. John01021988 thread starter macrumors 6502

Found the file.....

I cant erase it, and I believe is on the windows partition. Not sure though

P.D: As believed, the problem was with the windows partition, Scandisk ran in windoze and fixed the file, it does not appear in the trash can anymore

Attached Files: