trash on external/secondary hdd doesn't work

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by mirzank, Aug 15, 2013.

1. mirzank macrumors regular

I have a macbook pro 13 which i've modified to install a optibay with 1tb HDD to replace the optical drive.

With 10.8, this was working as expected. I would delete a file, it would go to trash. just the way my normal boot drive works.

With 10.9 i just noticed that when i delete a file, it gives me a dialogue box saying file with be deleted permanently. this is an error i'm used to on my NAS drives since they can't create trashes i guess. But it was a surprise to see my HDD give this error.

i haven't tried it, but i'm guessing this error will also happen on external usb drives. with 10.8 usb drives operated normally. i.e. deleted files went to trash. maybe that has changed now as well.

anybody else seeing this? can i do something to restore the old trash behaviour (yes i realize it might be a bug and apple will fix it) ? or is this something that apple has to fix?

2. heyadrian macrumors member

mavericks is power friendly so would spot a mile off if you had a notebook. Anything other than the usual HDD Drive connected would be seen as an external drive.

You'd notice this is you had the optical in there as the power-down of the drive is ALOT more frequent than it used to be. It's literally 30s after U do something on a DVR/CDR and bam, it winds down...

What does DU think your drive is listed as?

Plus what's listed in:

1) Drop to terminal
    2) do a : sudo diskutil list
    3) list what comes up

it'd be interesting to see if it's listed as a temp file system!

Which is probably the case!

3. mirzank thread starter macrumors regular

this is what diskutil list shows me:

Code:
    /dev/disk0
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
       1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
       2:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD            127.7 GB   disk0s2
    /dev/disk1
       #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
       0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *1.0 TB     disk1
       1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk1s1
       2:       Microsoft Basic Data Drive                   1000.0 GB  disk1s2
    diskutil app shows the drive as connection bus: sata, connection type: internal, guid partitioned.

the icon for it is the standard for an internal drive, not the yellow usb icon for external drives.

Lastly, even my external drives in 10.8 had a trash function. NAS drives didn't. but any usb drives always had trash function. for some reason 10.9 doesn't. so it seems to me this is oversight. at least i hope so. being power saving is one thing. changing behind the scenes functionality for something so minor is another.

4. heyadrian macrumors member

Ah I see two issues :)

One is a 'micorosft basic data drive' so it'll be seen as foreign... If you format it ExFAT which is happily inter-exchangable between the tow BUT still foreign.

You need to format it with HFS (as as Disk Utility tells ya, (MacOS Extended Journalled). That will be seen as local)

ANOTHER factor that might (but I can't confirm) that it's seem as foreign is the presence is another EFI partition.

WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT before you run off and delete it, the EFI is practically the firmware of your mac, so it's kinda complex!

Was the other drive (either or) at any time, the MAIN drive, or the main drive of another mac... Actually a third options is that perhaps part of a server which relied on EFI (which doesn't HAVE to be OSX based)?

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

6. mirzank thread starter macrumors regular

i was really hopefully the solution would fix it, but no luck. restarted a bunch of times too and no go. Thanks anyway for your help though.

Guess i'll wait for the final version and hope that fixes this issue.

Apart from this issue, and viber crashing, 10.9 has been absolutely perfect for me. not even the safari crashes people seem to be having a lot of.