Trash problem under Snow leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by buddyforone, Sep 2, 2009.

1. buddyforone macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just upgraded to SL. Now I got crazy on my Trash.

Whenever and Whatever I drag a file, a movie, a pic, everything, it will not move the the trash. Instead system warms me "This item will be detect immediately, you can't undo this action." And the item is detect directly.

I always have a empty trash:(:(

2. Marsil macrumors member

Same here. Any help?

3. tnaseem macrumors newbie

Hi There,

It could be a permissions problem on the .Trash folder. Here's how to check and fix:

1. Open Terminal.
    2. Go to your come folder if not there already:
      Code:
      cd ~
    3. List the contents of the folder, including hidden files:
      Code:
      ls -a
    4. Check the permissions and owner of the .Trash folder (Owner/Group should be <your username>/staff. permission should be 'drwx------'). In my case it's:
      Code:
      [COLOR="Red"]drwx------[/COLOR]   3[COLOR="Red"] tarique  staff[/COLOR]    102  1 Sep 12:32 .Trash
    5. If it isn't (some cases the owner is set to 'root' after the upgrade), Set the owner by entering
      Code:
      sudo chown [COLOR="Red"]tarique[/COLOR]:staff .Trash
      Replace the red bit with your username of course :) You will need to enter your password.
    6. Now set the permissions:
      Code:
       sudo chmod 700 .Trash

That should be it. I know some users have had a problem where the .Trash doesn't actually exist in the first place. In this case, just do a:
    Code:
    mkdir .Trash
    before Step 5 above.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Taz

4. gwang73 macrumors 6502a

gwang73

I have the exact same issue sometimes. Also, sometimes I also cannot drag a file from the Dock-Stacks directly to Trash - nothing happens and the file remains in the folder.

I have tried deleting the .Trash folder and creating a new one, but it didn't work. The only remedy I have found that works temporarily is to Force-Quit Finder. It works every time for a while until the issue comes back. I don't know what is causing it to fail.