Trash Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by summero, May 23, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

summero

've been deleting my Previous Systems folder for quite some time now and it seemed to have stopped deleting so I stopped it and started it up again. However, now it says "The operation cannot be completed because the iten "run" is in use. And when I press continue, it says "The operation cannot be completed because the item "0" is in use.

What should I do?

2. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

nevermind...

I figured it out! Wooo! Instead of using Secure Empty Trash, I just used Empty Trash. And I am a happy Mac camper now :D By the way, are those two trash options the same? I never really know which one to use lol. Thanks!

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Regular empty trash just deletes the directory entries. Secure empty overwrites the files with junk before deleting, useful if there are enemy spies hiding in the rafters.

4. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

So was it a bad idea to delete the last half of my previous systems with just the empty trash option?

5. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

not really, as long as you keep using the machine, it'll get overwrited sooner or later.

6. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Nah, its fine. I had issues back when I tried to downgrade a G3 iMac DV 500 back to 10.2 from 10.4 and ended up going back to 10.4 but didnt have enough HD space....anyway, long story short, deleting those won't hurt anything. note: previous systems

7. avalonia macrumors newbie

I had that happen to me for the first time only last night. All I did was restart my Macbook and I was able to get rid of the "in use" document from the trash after that. I think when you do that, it disconnects the "in use" item from whatever file or folder it was originally associated with.