Trash question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RollTide, Dec 17, 2007.

1. RollTide macrumors 6502

RollTide

Hey guys, I downloaded Windows media player, and then moved it to trash. All of it. When I try to clear out trash, it just says "Whatever" cannot be deleted because it is locked. Okay, well I took it out, pushed get info and unlocked it. there are three files that need to be deleted, all three are unlocked.

This is just annoying, and it would be nice to be able to empty trash without getting this stuff out of there since cannot empty trash with windows media player in there. Intel iMac running latest version of tiger.

I'm lost, and any help would be appreciated.

2. just02 macrumors member

Try this:

menu bar Finder>Secure Empty Trash...

3. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

Thanks! that worked, but it still left a htm file that cannot be deleted because it says that it is in use. the file is 2.1 mb and looks like that piece of paper with a pencil and a ruler in front of it. Any other ideas?

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Sometimes its as simple as logging out and logging back in, the TrashCan fixes itself (file system).

I think there is a bug when a user attempts to empty too soon after deleting large files or large groups of files. Meaning, the "empty" process runs before the lock/move to trashcan/unlock background process is fully finished, leaving the lock intact.

I've had this happen numerous times in Tiger and Leopard with large files or large groups of files marked for deletion, and never with small files.

But I could be wrong.

Maybe the developers should re-examine this part of the OS code and simply shadow out/disable the "empty" option or display a warning dialog that processing is ongoing -- until the background process is indeed fully terminated.

Just some thoughts, I'm not an expert on Trash Can, if anyone has thoughts on this - or please correct me if I'm wrong!!! :)

-jim

5. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

either restart, or find out if it is running in activity monitor and shut 'er down. BAM!!!!;)

6. wightstraker macrumors regular

If you're comfortable with the terminal,

sudo rm -rf [filename]

will get rid of anything.

7. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Some, um, personal thoughts, even though wightstraker noted "if comfortable" (translation: you got the skills)...

Bearing mind this forum is for "Mac Basics and Help" which means we've got newbies galore, the "f" parameter means "forced" remove, i.e. the user will not be prompted to confirm. I humbly suggest NOT using "f" be it you're "comfortable" or not! :eek:

Note the "r" means recursive, so you'll also blow away entire directories/sub-directories too instead of one file! heh

Now there are ways of recovery even after that (not including Time Machine which requires a working OS) but before doing so take your computer offline immediately, don't install anything, you better not defrag and be prepared for a world of hurt potentionally learning to use tools that literally examine/recover data on your hard disk one byte at a time. :mad:

Summary:

A little knowledge is a very dangerous thing in the hands of newbies, wightstraker! No offense to anyone reading this, of course. Like I said, just some personal thoughts. I know it might seem obvious but some users might type that in, without changing into proper directory first, be at root or home level and well... poof.

Lah dee dah.

-jim

8. wightstraker macrumors regular

Point taken, Jim, I forgot this was a newbie forum. Don't play with rm -rf unless you're sure what you're doing.

Still, it's the only consistently successful way I've deleted tenacious files in OS X.

9. RollTide thread starter macrumors 6502

RollTide

Well thanks guys, I will try this when I get home from trip. I am not new to Macs, however it is odd what things will baffle you huh? :confused:

10. sowillo14 macrumors regular

Option, Command, Shift, Delete. Works everytime.