Trash Recovery

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giyad, Sep 10, 2007.

1. giyad macrumors regular

Hello,

Ok, this is what happened. First of all, I imported pictures from my digital camera into iPhoto. I renamed the files through automator so it wouldn't be DSCxxx, and instead 2007 Summer xxx. Now, once I did that, I noticed that when I would full screen or try to edit a picture it would show a giant exclamation mark. So, what I needed to do was located the files because they were still pointing towards the DSC's. I am new to Mac, so what I did was copy all the originals from the package contents of iPhoto to my desktop, and then re-imported them into iPhoto. This worked fine for 2 of the albums, but the 3rd one is now gone. It was working until I emptied my trash...

So, two questions:
    1. How do I recover those photos?
    2. Does anyone have any suggestions to what I was doing? How do I point the files directly to the newly renamed pictures without having to delete the event?

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, all renaming of photos should be done through iPhoto in future to prevent something like this happening again. Both iTunes and iPhoto get quite temperamental when their files are renamed or moved. :eek:

Now, data recovery isn't terribly easy. Data Rescue II has a free demo that can show you if the data you want is recoverable. Actually recovering it requires the app though... OSX will overwrite the data quite quickly so it's probably best not to use your machine in the meantime. :)

3. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... how do I rename through iPhoto? I tried batch convert, but that only changes metadata, not the physical files name.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, you can then export the photos with their file names if necessary. :)

5. cheezitimposter macrumors newbie

Try Time Machine!

Time Machine is one of Leopard's new features that literally allows you to go back in time to recover lost or deleted files. A few requirements:

1. Do you have a desktop (iMac) or Time Capsule?

2. Leopard is required.

And yes, iTunes and iPhoto are very nit-picky about file names. Always name them in the app itself, or your apps will be like :confused: and then when they're erased you'll be like :eek: then :mad: then your :apple: will be like :eek: then you'll be like :( but if you use Time Machine and name files and the app itself you'll both be like :D. Have fun with your :apple:!!

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

why should it matter what the file is called in the finder? you use iPhoto to do all the name changing or else you'll just screw everything up.

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

+1.

The point of iPhoto, Aperture or any other management programme is that you don't need to (and shouldn't) touch the bare files.