Trash won't empty (New to MAC)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stuart21, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Stuart21 macrumors member

I just got myself a new macbook pro (first mac). Everything has been great but I cant seem to empty my trashcan when I put a large file in there. I was using metax to tag some movies and I copied them to my HD first, tagged them, then copied them back to my external.

Now i'm trying to delete the movies off my macbook but when i hit empty securely in trashcan it starts going and it will say emptying items and get hung up and freeze. If i place small items such as office files they delete fine but any movie I put in there wont delete. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Try holding the Option key down when emptying the Trash.

3. Stuart21 thread starter macrumors member

I tried holding option while hitting "empty securely" and it still hung up. I dont know if this will help but I will drag a single movie file and when i hit empty trash it will say deleting 5 items and then 4 and once it gets to three it freezes.

4. Stuart21 thread starter macrumors member

fixed it. Turned off empty trash securely and that seem to fix it.

5. mikeyz6 macrumors newbie

i have the same problem... it says its being used by another task... i logged off all programs

6. worldmusicman macrumors newbie

it is so easy guys.....:cool:

Just right click any folder in the trash, that you want to to delete or empty,
    then-get info, under right side info you will see the lock, just unlock it with your Admin Password, then you you will see + - button, press the +, then select your user account, also in the info select your user name, than make it read & right, unlock info, thats it!!!...

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603