Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
YES TITLE THREAD IS MEANT TO BE EHD (external hard drive)! lol

I've been thru a million google searches and forums and I can't find this problem anywhere. I put a folder with music in it in the trash (from a Lacie portable HDD) and didn't realise it was locked. Now I can't delete it as I don't have sufficient privileges.

I can't change it in the folder get info view either and no matter whether I try put it on my desktop or back on the HDD it won't move or delete whats in the trash. I tried doing a terminal delete and dropping the folder into terminal but it says the directory doesn't exist?!

Help??

EDIT: I'm thinking it stuck in the HDD which is why whenever its plugged in the folder is in the trash. I'm looking for a way around having to format my EHD

iKolja

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
Serbia, Belgrade
YES TITLE THREAD IS MEANT TO BE EHD (external hard drive)! lol

I've been thru a million google searches and forums and I can't find this problem anywhere. I put a folder with music in it in the trash (from a Lacie portable HDD) and didn't realise it was locked. Now I can't delete it as I don't have sufficient privileges.

I can't change it in the folder get info view either and no matter whether I try put it on my desktop or back on the HDD it won't move or delete whats in the trash. I tried doing a terminal delete and dropping the folder into terminal but it says the directory doesn't exist?!

Help??

EDIT: I'm thinking it stuck in the HDD which is why whenever its plugged in the folder is in the trash. I'm looking for a way around having to format my EHD

tried holding option/alt while deleting from trash ?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Try running the following in Terminal:

sudo rm -rf [drag and drop your external hard drive icon onto the Terminal window]/.Trashes

There should be no space before .Trashes. For example, I have a hard drive named Kohlberg, so for me it would be:

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Kohlberg/.Trashes

Be careful to type this command exactly as I have here. This one can really screw up your system with no confirmation message if you type it wrong.

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
have you tried holding alt/option as you empty the trash, that generally gets rid of all locked folders.

I cant think of anything else that it could be, other than repairing permissions.

Sorry i cant be of more help.

PTP

LP15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
all good. just used my pc laptop to delete it. stupid mac and pc tiffs. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.