Trash Won't Empty When HDD plugged in?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LP15, Jun 22, 2009.

1. LP15 macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2009
    YES TITLE THREAD IS MEANT TO BE EHD (external hard drive)! lol

I've been thru a million google searches and forums and I can't find this problem anywhere. I put a folder with music in it in the trash (from a Lacie portable HDD) and didn't realise it was locked. Now I can't delete it as I don't have sufficient privileges.

I can't change it in the folder get info view either and no matter whether I try put it on my desktop or back on the HDD it won't move or delete whats in the trash. I tried doing a terminal delete and dropping the folder into terminal but it says the directory doesn't exist?!

EDIT: I'm thinking it stuck in the HDD which is why whenever its plugged in the folder is in the trash. I'm looking for a way around having to format my EHD
  2. iKolja macrumors newbie

Jan 27, 2009
    Serbia, Belgrade
    tried holding option/alt while deleting from trash ?
  3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    Try running the following in Terminal:

sudo rm -rf [drag and drop your external hard drive icon onto the Terminal window]/.Trashes

There should be no space before .Trashes. For example, I have a hard drive named Kohlberg, so for me it would be:

sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Kohlberg/.Trashes

Be careful to type this command exactly as I have here. This one can really screw up your system with no confirmation message if you type it wrong.
  4. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

Dec 27, 2008
    have you tried holding alt/option as you empty the trash, that generally gets rid of all locked folders.

I cant think of anything else that it could be, other than repairing permissions.

Sorry i cant be of more help.

5. LP15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2009
    all good. just used my pc laptop to delete it. stupid mac and pc tiffs. lol