Trash wont empty

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by quantony, Dec 2, 2010.

1. quantony macrumors newbie

Here is a review of the issue and my communications to fix it at the apple support site...

When I empty the trash, I hear the empty sound but when I see the basket it looks full and when I open up trash nothing has been deleted.

Ive tried restarting a couple of times as well as using the option button when at the icon in the dock, still no empty...

Any ideas? thanx

the reply was:

Re: Trash wont empty
    Posted: Nov 30, 2010 4:28 PM in response to: quantonamera
    Reply Email

Read the article in this link...

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html

MacBook Pro with LED Cinema Display, Apple Wireless Keyboard, Magic Trackpad Mac OS X (

So I did and wrote this:

thanks for the link...i had already gone their but didnt download....at your prompt i downloaded
    trash-it.
    It emptied the trash ( thanks) , but when i did a test run with a new trash deposit of a nothing ...just a text edit doc. the same thing happened. I heard the empty sound but the trash icon was still not emptied and the doc was still there. Also there was never any dialog box about a problem with any files....its as if the empty trash capability of my macbook has just stopped working?

imac Mac OS X (10.5.7)
    quantonamera

a clarification on above....I composed a new document ( doc.) put it in the trash, the trash icon in the dock was still full after selecting empty trash and hearing the empty sound. Also the new document was still in the trash.... Also I dont not see the window showing the trash being deleted...

Any of you hotshots here at macrumors got any ideas?http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

thanks-

quantony

2. quantony thread starter macrumors newbie

also I searched this issue here and did permissions repair in disk utility, but to no avail...

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. quantony, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

quantony thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply and link....i typed the command in terminal and it did empty the text document from the trash. However when i created a new text edit document and put it in the trash the same problem. It wouldn't empty.....

This is similar to when i used the trash it app....it empties the trash but normal function of the empty trash feature seems to not work!

Any other ideas?

thanx-

Q

btw- I did search this site as well as the mac site to the best of my ability before I posted. I did find a thread here with instructions to use terminal but the command was different and posted for a little different issue plus i was afraid of it...