Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
Attempt to empty trash securely. Consistently get message asking if want to delete locked items or unlocked items only? Either selection, the deletion halts about three seconds into the process. When starting to empty, the status bar indicates over 1,400 files. What needs to be done to empty the trash?

Thank you.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Attempt to empty trash securely. Consistently get message asking if want to delete locked items or unlocked items only? Either selection, the deletion halts about three seconds into the process. When starting to empty, the status bar indicates over 1,400 files. What needs to be done to empty the trash?

Thank you.
Hold the Option-key down while selecting Empty Trash, should be able to delete locked items.

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
Thanks for your suggestion. Tried it, but no go. The process gets a little further along, but then halts. No change in trash bin.

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
Seems to do somewhat better using shift-option, but still don't get an empty trashcan. The process continues to halt. When restarted, it shows fewer files to delete, and moves a little faster, then halts. On the next restart, it shows a number of files remains closer to the original number, seems to be emptying just fine, then halts. This goes on over and over. Still have a basket full of trash.

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
Thanks for the links to helps. From the first link, had already tried some of the tactics, but not the one using Terminal. Gave it a shot. And another. And another. Process still halts after appearing to empty several hundred files.

Your second link won't open.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Try relaunching Finder.

:apple: menu -> Force Quit -> select Finder -> click Relaunch.

thumpcbd

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2011
Try this,

1. Open a terminal window
2. Type cd /
3. Type rm -fr
4. It's all deleted now, hope you have a backup.

(And if you really do that you're entire HD will be blank)

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
Thanks for the suggestions, but relaunching finder does not work. And I don't want to erase the HD, just remove a few months of backups from an external drive.

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
No, these files originated on my IMac. I've deleted backups this way on the machine before. It's just this recent attempt that has met failure.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
OK, I had that problem after transferring a PC to a Mac and ended up calling Apple for advice. Calling Apple is always a good idea if you have AppleCare.

robastewart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Tejas
OK, I had that problem after transferring a PC to a Mac and ended up calling Apple for advice. Calling Apple is always a good idea if you have AppleCare.

Yes, I have AppleCare, and probably ought invoke it to rectify this problem. But I'm stubborn about trying to fix something myself, first. ;) Thanks for your helpful input.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Why don't you just start deleting a few directories at a time till you find the offender? Then force down r/w permissions for Everyone.

Then:
rmdir -rf
for folder
or
rm -rf
for file.

in ~/.Trash.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.