Trash won't empty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sylon, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I am having a little bit of an issue. I have an external HDD for my Mac, a LaCie Porsche Design 2TB HDD. Way back in June I did a Time Machine backup on it, however since then I have used a different HDD and a different method of backing up my Mac. I just discovered this backup file, a folder roughly 265GB, on the external HDD and tried deleting it. It took about 20 minutes but it did eventually delete. Well, most of it.

The folder appears in the Trash as a 1.8MB file. Inside are various System files, I'm not sure. The problem is, it won't fully delete! I've tried emptying the Trash a dozen times, no luck. Also, it only appears when the external HDD is connected to my Mac. I really don't want to have to reformat the HDD, it has nearly 500GB of crap on it that I don't want to have to move.

How can I get rif of this folder in the Trash???

System info: Other than what my sig says, its running ML 10.8.2

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And you've tried emptying it while the external drive is connected?

For problems deleting items or emptying the trash, you may find some useful ideas here:

3. Sylon thread starter macrumors 68020

Sylon

When it's connected is the only time I could see it. When I disconnected the HDD it disappeared.

That first link did the trick, holding down Option when clicking Empty worked like a charm. Thank you! That thing was driving me nuts! lol